Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased an 85 300d. i love the car but it has a really bad water leak. i don't know where the water is coming from, but it all accumulates in the floor board of the rear passenger seat. any help ya'll could give me i would really appreciate!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: i just purchased an 85 300d. i love the car but it has a really bad water leak. i don't know where the water is coming from, but it all accumulates in the floor board of the rear passenger seat. any help ya'll could give me i would really appreciate!<p><br>three are several drains under these cars (little rubber openings) you need to take a soft wire and clean them out, very simple to do..just like Roto-Ruter...<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same problem and have been unable to solve it. Front & back passenger-side floor becomes a fish bowl when it rains. I cleaned all of the various drains (above the wheelwell, in the sunroof, in the center of the dash - accessed under the hood). Still leaks. I removed the battery tray and re-sealed all rusted areas. Still leaks. I'm looking hard at the windshield gasket now, but I'm reluctant to change it because its expensive and replacement gaskets are notoriously leaky. Let me know if you learn anything I've left out. Note: there are drain plugs in the floor panels just forward of the front & back passenger seats. These are useful for draining accumulated water (easier than bailing). Good luck! <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
: I have the same problem and have been unable to solve it. Front & back passenger-side floor becomes a fish bowl when it rains. I cleaned all of the various drains (above the wheelwell, in the sunroof, in the center of the dash - accessed under the hood). Still leaks. I removed the battery tray and re-sealed all rusted areas. Still leaks. I'm looking hard at the windshield gasket now, but I'm reluctant to change it because its expensive and replacement gaskets are notoriously leaky. Let me know if you learn anything I've left out. Note: there are drain plugs in the floor panels just forward of the front & back passenger seats. These are useful for draining accumulated water (easier than bailing). Good luck! <br><p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: i just purchased an 85 300d. i love the car but it has a really bad water leak. i don't know where the water is coming from, but it all accumulates in the floor board of the rear passenger seat. any help ya'll could give me i would really appreciate!<p>I had the same problem. I found that battery acid eat a hole through the engine compartment into the passenger compartment. If you take your battery out and look under the tray, you might find the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
: I had the same problem the rear footwells would<br>flood with water turned out to be two areas in my<br>case one was caused by acid that had spilled from the battery at some time and made a hole in the front passenger bulk head but could not be seen because of the interior sound lagging and mud<br>under the wheel arch. the other was cause by a failing water proof seal in the drivers side fresh air intake the mastic had just deteriorated<br>with age<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On this one I can definitely say I've 'been there, done that'. You won't believe what causes this! If I had a dollar for every quart of water I've baled from the rear floor board of two different 240D's I could buy a brand new MB! And I don't think that's too much of an exageration.<br> <br> Here's how to fix it: Open the hood and look down below the hood hinges. There is drain there that is sort of a dimple where sheet metal is spot welded together. Also there is an opening under the vertical metal at the inboard edge of the hood hinge pocket. The water then drains inboard toward a hole where the wheel well metal joins the firewall. This is under the master cylinder on the drivers side and under the battery on the passenger side.<br> <br> I used a high tech tool to clean this out. This highly sophisticated tool was made from baling wire. For a city dweller, I'm quite sure that coat hanger wire would make a suitable substitute material.<br> <br> I know this sounds crazy, but after many years of frustration and hunting, I was given this information on www.mercedesshop.com and it worked. I have helped others with this information and it also worked for them.<br> <br> Good luck and keep clearing all those underhood drains until you correct this problem.<br> <br> Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.