Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to make a long story short, i have an interested buyer coming to look at my car tomorrow night, and if it sells, i'm thinking of going to my neighbor to make an offer on his '78 450SLC euro. can anyone tell me anything about these cars? what forum could i find information? it has 80,000 on the clock, he says he bought it for 3,000 so that will be my offer.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Check out the R107 forum.

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
i have an interested buyer coming to look at my car tomorrow night, and if it sells, i'm thinking of going to my neighbor to make an offer on his '78 450SLC euro
GET OUT

:D If your 300 sells, definitely go for the 450. How often has it been driven? Last time it was driven? Maintenance records? Even if it's in good shape, see if you can get it for less than 3K.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GET OUT

:D If your 300 sells, definitely go for the 450. How often has it been driven? Last time it was driven? Maintenance records? Even if it's in good shape, see if you can get it for less than 3K.
i seem him driving around all the time :D that last time we spoke (a few weeks ago) he said it had an idle problem though..it was so low that he had to apply the accelerator when idling to keep it from stalling. hopefully he's taken care of that. but he said he wanted a jaguar and that he might sell his car, so i told him i'd keep in touch. if my car sells tonight i'll go over there tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
If you're wanting it as a toy as opposed to a daily driver the 450SLC would definitely be a great weekend car. Is it a stick shift car by any chance?

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're wanting it as a toy as opposed to a daily driver the 450SLC would definitely be a great weekend car. Is it a stick shift car by any chance?
it's an auto :crybaby2: and i actually intend to use it as a daily driver, i'm 17 and can't afford a DD AND a weekend car. i'm aware of the poor gas mileage and that it might not be as good in snow, but those are sacrifices i'm willing to make :D if he doesn't want to sell, i think i'll try to get into a 300sd or 300td

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
Nice

If I had the resources...

Attachments

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
The SLC would be fun but that A/C servo is a pain unless you can do away with the whole climate control system.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The SLC would be fun but that A/C servo is a pain unless you can do away with the whole climate control system.
by "whole climate control system" do you mean heat as well??

i can live without AC; heat, not so much :surrender:

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
As someone who's had a TON of different cars, and only in the last couple of years discovered how robust the w123 300 diesels are - I wouldn't suggest driving anything else.

Are the 450slc line anywhere near as well built and reliable as a 300D for a young person to try to keep on the road? If it's high repair costs on a 450SLC and break more often, I'd rather save that money for women instead, in your age bracket... ;) Either way, congratulations on avoiding the Honda craze. One less person in the world I want to cuff upside the head.

Dave aka Ghan

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As someone who's had a TON of different cars, and only in the last couple of years discovered how robust the w123 300 diesels are - I wouldn't suggest driving anything else.

Are the 450slc line anywhere near as well built and reliable as a 300D for a young person to try to keep on the road? If it's high repair costs on a 450SLC and break more often, I'd rather save that money for women instead, in your age bracket... ;) Either way, congratulations on avoiding the Honda craze. One less person in the world I want to cuff upside the head.

Dave aka Ghan
you said it. just driving through the parking lot at my school amongst the countless ricers and parent-bought camaros makes me want to scream. my W123 stands out nicely :cool: i think i'll go for a turbo diesel instead. what's considered low mileage for a well maintained w123?

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
I have been looking at SL's on and off. The 450 seemed to guzzle alot of gas without astronimical power. In the SL I would proably get a 280 euro.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Low milage w123s are harder and harder to come by. If you find one under 100k miles, that's super low. You figure, for an 84, you're talking 26 years old - 12k miles per year, comes out to 312k miles... Most all of them I see on the selling block are like 160-260k miles. I generally aim to have 180-220 for my liking. I'm not looking for mint specimens, but those numbers can flex depending on what else has happened to the car.

Most of the ones I found someone has monkeyed with in SOME form or another. (Wire nuts... Really!?) I look for ones that have little rust, ones that someone is currently driving or really recently did.

I normally look to spend 2500ish on one of these.

Dave aka Ghan

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Low milage w123s are harder and harder to come by. If you find one under 100k miles, that's super low. You figure, for an 84, you're talking 26 years old - 12k miles per year, comes out to 312k miles... Most all of them I see on the selling block are like 160-260k miles. I generally aim to have 180-220 for my liking. I'm not looking for mint specimens, but those numbers can flex depending on what else has happened to the car.

Most of the ones I found someone has monkeyed with in SOME form or another. (Wire nuts... Really!?) I look for ones that have little rust, ones that someone is currently driving or really recently did.

I normally look to spend 2500ish on one of these.

Dave aka Ghan
that seems about the same ideas that i have. i bought my 300D with 145,000 on the car, but it had sat for a year or two before my purchase, so alot had to be done to get it in good running condition.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts

Dave aka Ghan
I would suggest owning one of each! But get an SL instead of an SLC.

That's what I have done for past 20+ years.

From ownership experience, the 300D is by far the more solid an reliable car. But the SL is more fun to drive. No question a V-8 gasser engine will need more attention than the diesel, but the rest of the car is about the same. I have spent more on the 300D, but then I have done a lot more miles on it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts