Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading dozens of posts here and elsewhere, I finally decided to post one on my problem. I bought a 1982 300D (my second 123) about three weeks ago, with the odometer stopped at 335,000. It had great power in town and on the highway. It ran a bit rough at idle, but always started on the first crank.

A few days ago, I filled the tank with 12+ gallons of B100 from a local place. Until then I'd only been running dinodiesel, with DieselKleen additive. I drove only two miles home, then parked the car in SF (on a slight slope) outside for two days. The next time I tried to start it, it just cranked endlessly and wouldn't catch :confused:. The exhaust puts out b100-smelling vapor. After it cranks for 30 seconds or more, there's also unknown (oil?) vapor in the dipstick tube and oil fill cap if I open them.

I checked the glow plugs first, and they all have about .7 ohm. I even pulled the front plug to check, and it glows. They're all newish-looking bosch. All 5 plugs are getting voltage, so they don't seem to be the problem. I changed the fuel filters and worry about air in the lines, but the problem started before I opened it. Anyway, it's putting out fuel vapor so it seems like it's getting fuel.

So now I'm freaking out, thinking my motor has low compression, when it was staring very nicely a few days ago. How could the motor suddenly go bad? It didn't get hot or run low on oil, and the biodiesel station says the batch is fine (they sell to many other people). Even if the compression isn't great, why would it suddenly go from working to not working? I've been driving it 30 miles to work, no problems.

About ready to take it to a local shop, but fearful they'll charge hundreds to tell me I should scrap it. The gold body looks really great for its age, lots of new parts. If it is dead, how much for a used motor? I pushed it in to our small garage, but I can't swap a motor there.

Any ideas are appreciated, I'm about out of them. :(

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Give me a call or if you want i can come by if your in San Francisco, CA.

Most of my customers are in the bay area.

You most likely dont have a strong enough battery mixed with high miles and the slope.

If you call me i can try to work you through getting it running or if you want me to come out it will be EXTREMELY cheap.

916-821-2077 Garrett (Dieselkraut) or email is [email protected]

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Biodiesel is also a good solvent.
It could be that it loosed a bunch of crud in your Fuel Tank and you Fuel Tank Screen is now restricted.
Try Swapping the position of your Fuel Inlet holse with the Cigar Hose that returns the Fuel to your thank (you need 1/2 tank of fuel to do that).
They will bypass the Fuel Tank Screen and draw Fuel from a higher level in the Fuel Tank.
Easy to do and does not cost anything.

Loosen some of the Fuel Injection Line Nuts at the Injctors and verify that Fuel is getting up there and at the same time this bleeds the any Air out of the Fuel Injection Lines (if Air gets trapped in them Air compresses a lot and moves only a little bit).

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Biodiesel is also a good solvent.
It could be that it loosed a bunch of crud in your Fuel Tank and you Fuel Tank Screen is now restricted.
Try Swapping the position of your Fuel Inlet holse with the Cigar Hose that returns the Fuel to your thank (you need 1/2 tank of fuel to do that).
They will bypass the Fuel Tank Screen and draw Fuel from a higher level in the Fuel Tank.
Easy to do and does not cost anything.

Loosen some of the Fuel Injection Line Nuts at the Injctors and verify that Fuel is getting up there and at the same time this bleeds the any Air out of the Fuel Injection Lines (if Air gets trapped in them Air compresses a lot and moves only a little bit).
+1 on this advise

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
+1 on this advise
+2 actually.

Since you were able to still drive home, it means everything else is fine and that the newest change (using B100) caused the issue. It could have cleaned up the fuel tank and clogged the strainer at the bottom of the tank. This usually happens if the vehicle is on an incline (I've seen it many times on the board) where the fuel tank strainer gets clogged when going uphill, or something similar.

Follow the recommendations by 300Dman. Garrett is also a great guy he can help you out if you get stuck with your issue.

Also have a handful of fuel filters ready. Jumping from regular diesel to B100 could have shocked the fuel system and you'll probably see some more clogging after replacing the filters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

It's parked in our tiny garage now, so at least I was able to charge up the battery. My roommate is not terribly pleased about the black oil spots on the floor.

I did try swapping the fuel lines pretty early on- it seems like there's no trouble getting fuel at least to the filters. I'm thinking air or maybe clogged IP or injectors. I'll go for the injector lines today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cracked open the metal lines at the injectors earlier and cranked it over a few times, and they all seemed to be dripping fuel. I was alone, so I couldn't really see much as I was cranking. I tightened them back up and cranked it again after a nice glow, still nothing. I'm ready to pay someone else to find the answer, and that's really not like me.

Could b100 have knocked free chunks that clogged the injectors themselves?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes, I was about to suggest the same thing with adding it slowly even start w/ B5. But too late for that now, sorry!

I had an 86 6.9that I had too much WVO on a cold start & gave it a shot of starting fluid. Fired right up, but?

BioD is a cleaner so it will clean the cement, tell your roommie not to worry. So it's doing the same thing in your tank, removing 30 years of old D2.

I would get DK22 to get you going so that you don't lose faith in your MB. It's always great to have a local mechanic you can trust that knows the in&outs of these cars!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up having Garrett come out to get the car started, and I'm glad I did. It ended up starting on petrodiesel, which required bypassing the tank full of B100. Now the task is to drain all that hippie oil out, and find someplace to get rid of it.

Garrett is a great guy and his expertise is outstanding- I'd recommend him to anyone. In fact, I've already given his info to a couple other W123 people in SF.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If you have not run Veggie oil before yes it will among other things
I started mine at 10% and worked my way up over 3 months
Biodiesel is not the same as veggie oil, for the scratched record! :D

It's unlikely to be caused by biodiesel, it could be that the filters are clogged.
When was the last time the fuel filters were changed?
How old the battery? Glow plugs?

Good luck! And call dieselkraut, he is awesome and honest. Totally recommend him.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I ended up having Garrett come out to get the car started, and I'm glad I did. It ended up starting on petrodiesel, which required bypassing the tank full of B100. Now the task is to drain all that hippie oil out, and find someplace to get rid of it.

Garrett is a great guy and his expertise is outstanding- I'd recommend him to anyone. In fact, I've already given his info to a couple other W123 people in SF.
Garret is not biodiesel friendly, However he is a great mechanic.
Your car has 350k + miles!! It's gonna have issues weather you use bio or not.

My bad I was under the imprecision B100 was 80% refined Veggie oil
B100 = 100 biodiesel , 80% would be B80.

Veggie oil is usually the way to cal SVO or WVO, before refining it into biodiesel. This means that glycerin still present. Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice- but in this case, it WAS the biodiesel. Or rather, combination of B100, old engine with likely compression issues, and 40 degree nights outside in SF. The filters were the first thing I changed- they weren't clogged.

I do have about 17 or so gallons of biodiesel in sealed 5 gallon buckets now, if anyone is interested in buying cheap or bartering for it. It came from Dogpatch Biofuels and is probably fine for some cars, but it won't be going back in my 300D. Offers?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I will tell a friend that has a filtration system, how much a gallon?

I have been using b100 in my Benz for 14 months, I have spent lots of money repairing this lemon, same 14 months using b100 on my VW TDI 1998 and I haven't had to spend a cent in repairs because it's not a lemon! :D the lesson is that biodiesel is not the problem, it's the car!!
I'm sorry that your car can't handle it, they put additives like kerosene in it to prevent it from clogging the system when it's cold. If you ever have a better engine, give it a try, it works in good engines and it doesn't ruin them... SVO or WVO are a different story, glycerin is just not a cool thing.

I'm just sad that you were totally discouraged from using bio.
:(

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I will tell a friend that has a filtration system, how much a gallon?

I have been using b100 in my Benz for 14 months, I have spent lots of money repairing this lemon, same 14 months using b100 on my VW TDI 1998 and I haven't had to spend a cent in repairs because it's not a lemon! :D the lesson is that biodiesel is not the problem, it's the car!!
I'm sorry that your car can't handle it, they put additives like kerosene in it to prevent it from clogging the system when it's cold. If you ever have a better engine, give it a try, it works in good engines and it doesn't ruin them... SVO or WVO are a different story, glycerin is just not a cool thing.

I'm just sad that you were totally discouraged from using bio.
:(
Wasnt his engine, its just too cold out where he is. For the miles that are on his car the engine seems more around the 220k range not 350k.

I have a perfect rebuilt motor with perfect compression, but if its too cold it just wont start the same on bio/veg.

Newer diesels have a better pre-glow system so the start up is much better. Your 300D is not a lemon its just a 30+ yr old tank.

I do not used veg or bio normally, but if im in the area and low on fuel and bio diesel is cheaper then yes i will get it. Over the long run i will not use it. Back when diesel stations in the US were few and far between diesel drivers were to rely on Mcdonalds because there were more of them than diesel stations.

If you were in a pinch and out of fuel you could go and grab some of their oil and use a shirt or rag as a filter and get enough to get to diesel.

Now its another story......

·
Registered
965 Posts
Then a lower concentration would work for his engine, B80?
The refinery I buy from (sirona, oakland) adds kerosene to it so we don't need to pump reg. diesel.
Some people recommend up to 2% of reg. diesel in winter, that is the member agreement of biofuel oasis, Berkeley. Although they buy from Sirona and resell.

However, I get passionate about this subject because I want to support local economy and diminish the environmental impact of my actions. I just love the fact that we have pumps of biofuel around here, so we can stop sending money to the middle east and supporting greedy corps like BP. Did you know that the cost of cleaning the gulf of Mexico oil spill is going to be paid with OUR TAXES? FYI, a court decided that not that long ago.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/05/16/taxpayers-hook/

Bless.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the advice- but in this case, it WAS the biodiesel. Or rather, combination of B100, old engine with likely compression issues, and 40 degree nights outside in SF. The filters were the first thing I changed- they weren't clogged.

I do have about 17 or so gallons of biodiesel in sealed 5 gallon buckets now, if anyone is interested in buying cheap or bartering for it. It came from Dogpatch Biofuels and is probably fine for some cars, but it won't be going back in my 300D. Offers?
When it's warmer out, diesel can start & run well even on 50% D2 & 50% filtered WVO. I wouldn't sell the BioD, run it through a sock filter & Run one gallon of BioD to every 4 gal of D2 for a B20 mix. Even most new diesel cars & trucks run that! With that you wound have your IP & Inj cleaner & lube!
If not, it's a good idea to run Power Service or something similar to bring up the ULSD to what was supposed to be run when our vehicles were new!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts