Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300TD
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a recent rebuilt (supposedly) 300D turbo out of a crashed sedan. I put it in a wagon after installing newly rebuilt wagon type head. With great help from this forum I paid for my sins and got the diesel IP timing great, runs very nice now. Thanks ....

This engine still smokes like crazy. It has been sitting as much as 2 years now prior to running it now. ONe knowledgeable german trained MB guy says diesel rings can get "stuck", re recommended 1.5 qts. Rislone engine improver then drive it around to see if the rings get unstuck.

He also said turbos can fail and spray oil into the intake. Removing the EGR valve allows access into the intake pipe right where boost air enters the intake pipe.... stuck my pinky in there, it came out dry. No discernible oil.

While the head was off I was not impressed with how fresh cross hatching was on cylinder walls... it was visible but not so fresh looking.

Don't tell me I got screwed....

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
ok. You say it smokes like crazy, but what color is the smoke? Black, Blue, or white?

·
Registered
1984 300TD
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These aren't absolute, just generalizations.

Black - Too much fuel, unburnt fuel, fuel related problem
Blue - Burning oil
White - Coolant / head gasket.
Ah, now that is real info... thanks...
I'm running it with no air filter .... could that throw off the mixture enought?? If I get a K&N air filter will that affect the air fuel mixture?

Northeast CT? Are you guys freezin' your asses off? I live 200 yds from the San Andreas Fault. I'll get mine, dont' worry...

(great on the 240D especially at freeway speed, better high end)

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Running it with no air filter is a very bad idea. Put one in immediately. A fresh one will allow the car to run great, and it's amazing how much dust gets on it from a couple days of driving... right now, all that is going IN your engine... including through your turbo veins...

People don't like the K&N because if not cleaned & oiled regularly (More so than K&N ever tells you...) than they just don't perform. For an engine with a bit of blowby, the K&N drop ins can be a very big help, as they don't get soggy like the paper elements.

In any event, -anything- is better than nothing.

As far as air fuel mixture - I'm assuming you're 240D is a diesel.... so that ratio stuff is really not involved... Leave that for the honduhs. ;) Diesels need fuel, & air, the more of both the better.

So what color is the smoke? We could point you in better directions with your answers to our queries!

I've heard of people clearing stuck rings by soaking with Marvel Mystery Oil for weeks at a time.

Dave aka Ghan

P.S. It was 22 degrees this am at my house. I put on a long sleeve shirt. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts