Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a 300D turbodiesel sedan or wagon and have a few questions. I've found a good example of a 1985 300D sedan with 206K miles on it, but I need some advice on the car's problems.

1. The steering feels loose and at slow speeds feels like it is wandering even when the road is smooth. It seemed like it needed constant correction to keep a straight line. Am I looking at a steering rack replacement or tie rods or just something simple?

2. The brakes felt VERY tough. Master cylinder problems? Does it need it's fluid purged and bled? I can't imagine that M-B would have brakes this hard to press to get decent stopping performance.

3. The left rear floor had standing water on it when I looked at it Saturday but didn't on Friday. It's been rainy here but the sunroof and roof didn't show any leaks. Aside from an open window, are the seals in the windows or doors of these cars really bad?

4. The pictures of many of the cars in the gallery show the air filter for the engine as having a large pan-like housing near the top of the engine with a ram scoop in the front. However, this car has canister type filter near the front passenger side headlamp that seems to gather air from the fender area. Is this a stock set-up or what is going on? It looks like a M-B set-up but it doesn't look exactly like the pictures I've seen in the gallery.

5. What kind of performance can I expect from this car? I'm not looking for 0-60 burning performance, but can it cruise comfortably and quietly at 80-90 mph for many hours? Mileage?

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't see these questions in earlier posts.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Get it up on a rack

Rust is a problem as it is with any old car. Get it up on a rack and take a look underneath. Rusted rocker panels could be a source of the water you mention. The steering shock and tie rod ends in the front are likely shot too. You may have a gray market model as I've owned five 300 TD Wagons and NEVER seen the air cleaner setup you describe. The suspension in the rear is hydraulic and run from a vacuum line on the engine. Be sure it is operating unless you prefer a LOW RIDER. Good luck!
[:D]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a picture of the air filter set-up

Just thought I post a follow up to my question about the air filter set-up. Attached is a picture of the set-up on the 85 I saw at my local dealer. Apparently this set-up is to help with California emissions. The airfilter can be seen in the lower right hand corner. I feel better as I thought the car was the victim of some failed attempt to make it perform better or worse yet a victim of a botched accident repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
1) steering, all easy to replace and maintane...look for broken, warn parts - the hardest thing to do - change prings because of compression, and sway bar bushings because of master cylinder.
2)brakes - could be stuck, dead piston - when i bought mine the front pass was dead. also the rear yoke were the lines (fuel too) are almost always rusty - just a thing to check

i am looking to replace all of my hard lines with SS from classic tube if the stealership wants to much for OEM - Classic tube wants about 400 for all the lines in SS...

There are SS flex lines also available...but your car is tough/firm enough...
3)water leaks - do a search, most of us have talked about that one...lots of options there

BEWARE THE RUBBER ROTT MONSTER - HE LIVES UNDER YOUR CAR AND HOLDS WATER AND MOISTURE TIGHT AND SNUGGLEY TO YOUR CARS CHASSIS AND STEEL - AND HE EATS IT AWAY!!!

4)thats california from what i can gather
5)no idea there i run MUTTMOBILES...but mine is commfy and smooth around 100mph, the ride quality and craftsman ship really shines on this tank...for a 30 year old dsign now - it holds its own on the thruway...

i am lowered with hd shocks all new sus and 17 inch monoblocks - i call the ride...modern and confident.

maybe tis wil help
Jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.