Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 California 300 D Turbo Diesel and '85 Federal 300D Turbo Diesel. '84 Cali 300D - SOLD
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the contacts in the solenoid serviceable? I have replaced the contacts in other make solenoids I have owned, but the solenoid on these appears to be sealed/unserviceable. Is this right?

·
Registered
1985 California 300 D Turbo Diesel and '85 Federal 300D Turbo Diesel. '84 Cali 300D - SOLD
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
This is sort of a correction for what I said below in black text.
I have a Bosch Alternator and Starter Book. Not much on Starters in it but the do show Solenoids with 2 types of Plastic end caps. One looks easy to remove while the other has the outer metal tube crimped over the Plastic End Cap.

The crimped one must be what wesayso has.
The only way I can see to get at the inside of the Crimped one would be to make a bunch of short cuts length wise through the crimped area to the extent that the crimp could be folded outward (like the Petals of a Flower opening) enough to pull the End Cap out.

When the Cap is re-installed JB-Weld Epoxy between the Cap and the folded back over Crimp; with some sort of clamp to hold the Cap firmly in place the Epoxy cures should hold it.

Perhaps a Hose Clamp around the Crimped end would keep them squeezed back in place until the Epoxy Cures.

Below is what I posted first:
There was a guy who said he had a fix for that.
The guy did not say how he did it but he claimed the Contact Bolts could be indexed to another spot that had fresh metal.

I am only guessing but it may be possible to loosen the retaining nut and push the Bolt Forward in to the Solenoid and rotate it 45 degrees and pull it back (I believe the Bolt heads are similar to Carriage Bolts and have a square part below the Head that indexes into the plastic Solenoid end cover).

If the Solenoid End Cover is riveted on you could carefully drill or grind through the Rivet and figure out how to re-attach it once you see what is inside.

I have used the drilling or grinding method on quite a few things over the years.

In any event if you know the Solenoid is no good why not do a little exploring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts