Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an idea for a project and could use some feedback. I'm in the process of restoring/converting an early 50's bread truck (aluminum bodied step van) into a food vending truck. I was going to replace the original ford six cylinder-4 speed with a 350 chevy-automatic. However it occured to me that I already own an 81 300d limo (wrecked) that has a good motor and a 4 speed manual gearbox. I know my 83 300 turbodeisel is real gutsy so now I'm thinking maybe the motor and trans from the limo could be a good candidate to put in the bread truck.
Does anybody have any opinions on the suitability of the mercedes motor to haul the truck ? It's got to have more hp/torque than the old ford six.
Thanks[:)]

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Sounds good to me! The '83 3.0L Turbodiesel engine pumps out 123hp and I think about 160ft...

Sounds good to me! The '83 3.0L Turbodiesel engine pumps out 123hp and I think about 160ft.lbs of torque which is available at 2400rpms. Very cool that it has a standard trans! That will really move and achieve great gas mileage. I have seen some trucks and cars with transplanted Mercedes diesel engines. The G300 (Galendawagen), which they don't bring over here (only the G500 and G55) uses the 3.0 Turbodiesel engine. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately my limo motor is a non-turbo[:(]
i do however have a spare turbo motor wi...

unfortunately my limo motor is a non-turbo[:(]
i do however have a spare turbo motor with a bad head gasket. might be worth building it if the non-turbo would be too weak.
i was amazed that the limo came with a 4 on the floor. someone told me they thought it was a factory limo and not an aftermarket stretch job.
do you know the specs for the non-turbo ?

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
I belive a non-turbo 300D produces 88hp and about 115ft.lbs or torque. Pretty cool even to...

I belive a non-turbo 300D produces 88hp and about 115ft.lbs or torque. Pretty cool even to find a non-turbo in stick - none of them besides the 240D came in stick here. You could rebuild the turbo motor or go with the non-turbo. How much does the truck in question weigh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I belive a non-turbo 300D produces 88hp and about 115ft.lbs or torque. Pretty cool even to

I belive a non-turbo 300D produces 88hp and about 115ft.lbs or torque. Pretty cool even to find a non-turbo in stick - none of them besides the 240D came in stick here. You could rebuild the turbo motor or go with the non-turbo. How much does the truck in question weigh?
hmm...88 hp isn't much but 115 is pretty respectible torque.I like the turbo #s better though. Although I have seen little 235 Chevy sixes in school busses and big trucks. I think the trick is in a real low ratio rear end.
No idea what the truck weighs, I haven't been able to find a data plate on it yet. Heck, I don't even know who made it ? It should be fairly light for it's size though, it has a full aluminum body and floor with a fiberglass nose.It's about 15' bumper to bumper. If I had to guess I'd say it was around 3500#'s and i'm installing about 1000#'s of equipment.
I was told that a lot of these old delivery vans were custom made for the bread companies. I'm still trying to find a source of information on the maker.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Yeah, the Turbodiesel motor would be a better bet, especially for your satisfaction!

Yeah, the Turbodiesel motor would be a better bet, especially for your satisfaction!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.