Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my '85 300D. Currently the two front speakers are too large for the covers and therefore the covers aren't flush with the dashboard. Another problem is that the sound quality is lacking, especially at the lower end; I don't want to install giant subwoofers (I'd like to keep the car as stock (or sleeper stock) as possible) but I can make exceptions.

Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations/etc?

I've also heard that there are "80's style" faceplates for newer sound systems. Any truth to that?

Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have boston s45 for my front speakers and they fit under the grills. Crutchfield shows them as being discontinued now. I have a small blaupunkt powered sub that partially fits under the front passenger seat (also discontinued). I imagine that there are similar products currently available. If you look at the bostons, you'll see how the tweeters are flush with the top of the speakers.

there are head units out there that don't look as modern as others. You can also get some upgrades or repairs on the stock Becker - stuff like adding an iPod connector.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Along the same lines: Are there any newer Mercedes Benz headunits that would fit in the w123 dash? I wonder what the most modern single din sized unit would be and if anyone has made one work?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went For the retro sound model one. It was 249 but u know what, it sounds great, it's easy to use, easy to set up, has all the modern features you need and then some, and most importantly it looks better than the original Becker whilst staying true to the retro look of the era. My budget was 150 to 200, I spent an extra 50 and did it right. They also have a basic model which looks identical for 200 but it slashes the remote/ sdcard/ USB connection and only offers one 3.5mm jack on the face. Remote, no big deal, but I deff use the USB flash drive slot ALOT! They also let u choose from several face plate and knob designs and finishes.

As far as the speaker grill goes, I carefully and lovingly dremeled a hole on them to accommodate the tweeter. This may seem brash but they look fantastic. I also painted e otherwise silver tweeter black to blend in with the dash.

I can post pics Later when I get home, the car is in my garage getting an overhaul maintenance regime, and a new clutch..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know of a reliable/honest car stereo shop in the DC area? I'd like to check out all this equipment in the flesh. Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
492 Posts
I upgraded my stereo and speakers recently with these Pioneer products from Amazon.com

Pioneer TS-G1043R 4 In. 2-Way Speaker with 120 Watts Max. Power
$34.99

Pioneer TS-D1302R 5.25 In. 2-Way Speaker with 180 Watts Max. Power
$59.99

Pioneer DEH-7300BT CD Receiver with Bluetooth Built-In and iPod/iPhone Control
$144.99

·
Registered
24 Posts
best car speakers i've ever had are pioneer premiers 4" in the front great sound rated for 100rms watts i think dont remember. but they have soft dome tweeters. and in the back kenwood execelon 5 1/4" they're actually component speakers has a soft dome tweeter suspended by an a arm over a really nice quality mid range driver a little pricey but i've had them 3 years baking in the mississippi sun and massachusetts winters with no problems.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I upgraded my stereo and speakers recently with these Pioneer products from Amazon.com

$34.99

Pioneer TS-D1302R 5.25 In. 2-Way Speaker with 180 Watts Max. Power
$59.99

Pioneer DEH-7300BT CD Receiver with Bluetooth Built-In and iPod/iPhone Control
$144.99

I went with the same speaker sizes (tho Rockford Fosgate) and I am certainly pleased. Tho I got the Clarion VZ-401 because built-in BT, its CEA compliant (actually pushes the watts it claims to), and when open, fits dimensions of counsel exactly. Good luck either way!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have boston s45 for my front speakers and they fit under the grills. Crutchfield shows them as being discontinued now. I have a small blaupunkt powered sub that partially fits under the front passenger seat (also discontinued). I imagine that there are similar products currently available. If you look at the bostons, you'll see how the tweeters are flush with the top of the speakers.

there are head units out there that don't look as modern as others. You can also get some upgrades or repairs on the stock Becker - stuff like adding an iPod connector.

I like the idea of adding an ipod connector on a stock Becker, nice!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I went with the same speaker sizes (tho Rockford Fosgate) and I am certainly pleased. Tho I got the Clarion VZ-401 because built-in BT, its CEA compliant (actually pushes the watts it claims to), and when open, fits dimensions of counsel exactly. Good luck either way!:thumbsup:

That's sweet too!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Will these fit into the front speaker holes? I think they'd be too big.

Can anyone remember what was the original speaker size up front?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Sounds like 4" to me:D

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I am. But I can also read...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Will these fit into the front speaker holes? I think they'd be too big.

Can anyone remember what was the original speaker size up front?
I think its 3.5". 4" will fit, but you (or they) will have to clip 1 of the 4 screw mounting holes (there is 4 total) off to make it fit....WELL worth it to do this and use 4" speakers. 3.5"s pale in comparison... just my .02:cool:

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I think its 3.5". 4" will fit, but you (or they) will have to clip 1 of the 4 screw mounting holes (there is 4 total) off to make it fit....WELL worth it to do this and use 4" speakers. 3.5"s pale in comparison... just my .02:cool:
That's pretty much what I thought as well. The 4" I've got now works well on the right side, but not so much on the left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts