Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dumb question...I'm trying to replace the speakers on the rear shelf as the originals aren't cutting it anymore. I can't seem to 1.) get the rear seat out and feel like a fool. There are 2 tabs at the base and they seem to be stuck. 2.) Is there access from below to the speakers? There doesn't appear to be from the trunk. I have been told I'll have to run new wiring from the head unit to the trunk if using an aftermarket radio to bypass the fader on the console near the window switches. Is there room to get through that wall behind the rear seat? I have also been told not to drill through as the fueltank is right there too! If anyone's done this already or knows a thread i might reference, please let me know! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1980 300D
27 Posts
Try this http://skinnerbox.steaky.org/

I've downloaded almost everything he has and it has come in real handy. There is a section in there for seat and speaker r&r.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I just had to reply to this [:D]

Press the tabs and pull up hard to remove the lower cushion. It should move forward a bit once it's free. The backrest literally rests on 3 hooks last I checked. 3 screws need to be removed too below, behind the lower cushion. Once you've unscrewed them, life the backrest.

From there, I can't help anymore as I haven't touched my rear speakers. Yes the fuel tank is right behind the rear seat! Be careful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI there,

I tried to see the stuff on skinnerox, as you recommend, but it won't find the link. Says it's not on the server.

I just need to remove the back seat on my newly pruchased 1981 300 sd and want to do it right.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
W123 560E
454 Posts
Removing the rear seat swage and backrest is v. easy. Push the red tabs in quite hard and lift up the seat base as you do so (dont yank it up or you could break the swage), if the red tabs are being really stubborn hit them lightly with a rubber hammer or alternatively rap a cloth thickley around a normal hammer head and tap. Do this on both sides and then slide out the swage. There are, as above, 3 metal tabs with screws, undo all 3 and remove although be carefull not to loose the gold coloured tabs that the screws thread into. Lift up the backrest evenly because there are 3 risen metal holes that the rest sits in, ideally get a buddy to lift one side as you lift the other. You then have access to the parcel shelf which slides out. Pull out v. carefully towards the front of you but it is made of very flimsy hardboard. You will have to cut holes for speakers and more than likey make some raiser pods for most 6x9/component speakers. I recomend infinity reference 6x9's as they have angled tweeters/mids and as it is (by european standards) a big 'ol car. You will find that not many people run just 6x9's/components because not a lot of bass comes through. I would also recomend a sub and porting through to the cabin via the 1st aid box. If you need any more help just shout or email. My address is streetrules at hotmail dot com. Later

M [:)]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts