Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure this has been posted before, but i've had no luck finding any answers. my car is a '78 nonturbo 300D. i finally got a new exhaust (resonator bypass, new muffler, and a nice dual chrome tip :) ) and inspection, so i plan on taking it up to the mountains on christmas to see family. it's about a 3 hour drive, alot highway. i've done 70 before in this car but it's LOUD from revving so high. am i causing any damage to the motor driving extended amounts of time at a speed like this? or is it just simply loud? thanks!

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Dont worry about it at all. I have taken many trips in my 76 300D(non-turbo) and its fine. They sounds like they are going to blow but as long as its full of the correct oil, and all other fluids are fine you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont worry about it at all. I have taken many trips in my 76 300D(non-turbo) and its fine. They sounds like they are going to blow but as long as its full of the correct oil, and all other fluids are fine you should be good to go.
great! looks like my only worry now is the hilly terrain up in the poconos ;) can't wait to try her out in the snow!

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
great! looks like my only worry now is the hilly terrain up in the poconos ;) can't wait to try her out in the snow!
FOUR new snow tires and you'll enjoy it. Anything else- forget it.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I spent 2.5 years in Germany in the early 1970s when the Mercedes Diesels were less powerful than they are now.
Back then there was no speed limit on the Autobahn and many other roads. The less powerful back then Mercedes would scream on past you.
The car you have now is much more suitable than the previous ones.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
In my experience driving at high speed increases the oil consumption, so you might want to check it more often if you don't know the normal oil consumption of the engine. 70 mph is nothing for the 300D, that is only about 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
FOUR new snow tires and you'll enjoy it. Anything else- forget it.
i can't afford snow tires this year :crybaby2: so i'm going to keep a full tank and a full 5 gallon can & some cinder blocks in the back. do you think i'll be alright?

p.s. the current tires are only a few months old, still have great tread

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my experience driving at high speed increases the oil consumption, so you might want to check it more often if you don't know the normal oil consumption of the engine. 70 mph is nothing for the 300D, that is only about 3500 rpm.
i didn't think of that, i'll definetely remember to keep an eye on that. thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts