Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercede E300 Turbo Diesel with 58,400 miles
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of checking out a 300D with 37,500 miles on it to use as a daily vehicle. I have received some very valuable info from this forum about possible issues. I failed to ask about Winter. I have no access to electric electric outlets where I live and cannot do heater block warmers. What about if I'm out and park the car in cold for hours?What to do? Am I over my head here?

·
Registered
1986 300sdl; 1982 300CD
235 Posts
Alchan,

as long as the outside temperature doesn't get down below @20 degrees F you should be OK.
(i've driven a 300D or SD for over a decade in the DC metro area with FEW such problems.)

yours, satx

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
I don't recall having any issues starting any of the Diesel Benzes in winter. No Block heater used. Were talking 4F below zero.

·
Registered
1986 300sdl; 1982 300CD
235 Posts
pinkfloydfan810,

THANKFULLY, i've never had to start any of my more than 10, 300-series M-B diesels at any temperature quite that low.

as i said, i've never had a problem stating any of them at 20 degrees F, even when they have been covered for days at a time in snow/ice.

yours, satx

·
Registered
1986 300sdl; 1982 300CD
235 Posts
Kajtec1,

i've never owned a post-1985 M-B diesel & frankly don't plan to, as i don't know enough to do my own work on them. - the two i have will probably outlast me.

fwiw, i'm looking at a bright blue 1985 300CD coupe that has 26K actual miles on it. - pricey but looks/drives like NEW.- my neice is EXCITED about me possibly buying the coupe, as she wants my 1982 "German-spec" 300D to drive to/from college.

yours, satx

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Kajtec1,

i've never owned a post-1985 M-B diesel & frankly don't plan to, as i don't know enough to do my own work on them. - the two i have will probably outlast me.

fwiw, i'm looking at a bright blue 1985 300CD coupe that has 26K actual miles on it. - pricey but looks/drives like NEW.- my neice is EXCITED about me possibly buying the coupe, as she wants my 1982 "German-spec" 300D to drive to/from college.

yours, satx
26.000 miles just doesn't seem right. Get a Carfax or Autocheck. Post some pictures to for good judgement if it adds up.

·
Registered
1986 300sdl; 1982 300CD
235 Posts
PinkFloyd,

these ultra-low mileage cars are out there. - in this case, the 300CD was a FOURTH car of a real estate mogul, it's a one-owner, has the most complete maintainence records that i've ever seen on a car & is for sale by the PO's executrix.
(i'm not at all sure that it's worth what she's asking. the little coupe is NOT a "national treasure".)

i also know of a 1988 CADILLAC ALLANTE that has about 7,000 total miles on it. - that one got "tied up in" a major civil/tax/probate case for over 20 years & was "warehoused" while the case dragged on & on.
the bad news is that the engine is "stuck" & the Caddy would need MAJOR work to ever be driven again.
(NOT a project that i would care to tackle.)

yours, satx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts