Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1985 MB 300D - Pastel Beige w/Black Int.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just upgraded from my somewhat tatty (but great running!) 300D to the beautiful, clean, rust free 300D of my dreams! The bad news is that urban living in the Northeast means I've got to live with on-street parking and very salty winters.

I don't have a lot of options here -- it's either rent garage space for the winter, juggle buying and selling and switching the plates to and from a winter beater every year -- expensive and a hassle but obviously ideal from a keeping the rot away perspective.

I'm thinking about Ziebart as a compromise to allow me to keep the Mercedes on the road in the winter and stave off the rot as much as possible. Reading reviews has convinced me that the process isn't snake oil, but I'm interested to hear if anyone here has any experiences with this process on their w123s or your thoughts in general about handling winters in the snow belt.

(And if anyone is interested in my '82, 220K w/greasecar kit installed, in Cambridge MA, PM me!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Cavity wax is a good idea on a W123 so long as you don't block up the drains.

Coating the underside with what ever is a total waste of time on a W123 that still has its factory rubberised undercoating.

The biggest immediate problem you are likely to experience will probably be leaks. Rubbers in dry climates tend to be dry and crumbly. Bring them into wet climates and they leak. The car will slowly fill up with water and because Mercedes put that stupid rubber shit on the bottom of the car it will trap all of the water in the car and it will rot from the inside out.

I'd invest in new rubbers if they have already been fitted. It isn't a cheap option - on the whole I've only ever heard good things about the rubbers at the dealer (well other than the price!) - copies tend to get bad reviews epsecially windscreen rubbers.

In a wet climate it is all about water management (unblock every drain and check for leaks regularly) and keeping the car clean and waxed (not polished - waxed!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts