Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo with newer engine (KKK Turbo)
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the FSM says that the 300D has a 21.1 gallon tank with a 3 gallon reserve. Does that mean that the usable capacity is 18 gallons, or that the real total capacity is 24 gallons?

I have a recently acquired 300D (1982) and am tank by tank working my way down to trying to decide if the low fuel warning light works. It does light up when you turn the key on before starting. I ran the car down pretty close to the "R" mark today on the gauge and it took 18.9 gallons to refill. I can't tell if I'm pushing my luck or if I've got another two gallons to go before it will even want to turn the light on...? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo and 1985 300D Turbo
84 Posts
I am almost certain that the total tank capacity is 21.1 gallons. I don't have the manual in front of me, but I looked it up not too long ago.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The manual states the capacity is 21.1 gallons including a reserve of ...

On some models, the vehicles were equipped with a smaller tank.

But on the turbo diesel, the capacity is 21.1 gallons. Most I've ever refilled with was 21.0 gallons when it started sputtering :eek:

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
I'm not sure if all 300D's have the same tank capacity or whether it differs between the NA and turbo models but the 240D tank has a capacity of 17.2 gallons. The actual capacity is around 19 or 20 because the reserve on it is right around 2-3 gallons. It may be a little less than that but when I removed my old tank I had about 3 gallons gush out all over me in my garage when I took the strainer out for replacement.

·
Registered
'84 300D european spec
21 Posts
Thanks man, close enough I guess. Fuel gage doesn't work very well at the top end. won't seem to go the last 8th to show full. sounds like at least it is working on the bottom end. That's where it's a little more important.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts