Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the fuel level sensor works?

My fuel gauge shows more thatn a quarter tank left when the reserve light goes on. The reserve light is the more accurate indicator, based on tank-to-tank calculated consumption. I suspect the cause is an electrical phenomnon called "DC drift". I would like to fix that if I can.

Thx

PlaneCrazy - it's more than a name, it's a life choice!

·
Registered
918 Posts
This is a common problem. Do a search for "fuel sender". It can be taken apart and cleaned easily. It's underneath the first aid box in the rear parcel shelf. To remove it you'll need a 45MM socket or equivalent. Be careful when disassembling it as the internals are fragile.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so I've taken it out and taken it apart, cleaned it up, reinstalled it... and wasted my time. Which other cars (Mercs?) use this sensor, so I can replace it? Is the petrol and diesel model's sensor the same?

I noticed that the copper wire in the center appears to be a bit slack. Could that be the cause of my woes?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts