Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'85 300D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here but have read for a few weeks. :)

I just bought a wonderful '85 300D this week, and the vinyl has shrunken away from around the dome light. It seemed there should be a bezel, but I couldn't find this online, and today my mechanic told me there was no bezel for these.

What I intend to do is make a template and cut a piece of plastic or hard cardboard somewhat wider than the light itself. The mechanic let me cut a piece of matching vinyl from one of his donor cars, and I want to wrap it over the piece I cut to finish it off nicely.

However, I don't know how to remove the dome light. Searching here and on google didn't show me anything for w123 cars.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Simply put a flat blade screwdriver between the light and the vinyl from the right side and gently pull it down. It should pop out with little resistance.

·
Registered
'85 300D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for the tip. It worked very easily.

...Now on to the bezel! :D

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Regarding the dome light, the switches get flaky after many years. I bought my '84 300DT in late '95 in Atlanta, GA (11-yr-old car), and I think they said the car was from Florida, and it must have been outside a lot 'cause the wood grain pieces were starting to come off, and the door plastic trim was already shrinking/crinkling. The dome light had a rocker switch which worked for about a week. Couldn't quite fix it.

I bought a new dome light and it had a rotating switch. Well, about 2 months ago it started acting up. So, 2nd switch lasted 15 years, 1st one, 11. Although it is still either the original bulb from the original light, or the original bulb from the 2nd light. Either way, quite long-lasting. I've never replaced my rear dome light, which still works.

Anyway, don't make it too hard to remove - you may have a new one in your not-too-distant future.

Also, when I put in the new one, I noticed how much brighter it was - dramatically brighter, and of course brighter than the rear one, and that was due to the previous one yellowing. Now after 15 years it's about the same mellowed-out hue as the rear one. So you may want to replace them both if you want some brighter lights inside.

And BTW, if you're new to the world of MBenz, it may seem strange to hear about parts lasting for a quarter of a century or more, but get used to it. I know - there are other makes that last. My '95 Mercury Villager (really a Nissan design) has a lot of original parts. But I also replaced things, like the Benz, but replaced them sooner. I replaced the motor mounts and lower ball joints at the 13-year point. I replaced the whole front end parts of the 300 at its 20-year point. It still has the original motor mounts, though, and although they do look like they're quite used (I just had a good look at them, having recently raised the engine off of them for some other work), they're not shot like the Villager's were. At 370K mi, it still has the original drive shaft flex joints and support bearing (which finally show some wear - explains some vibrations I've been having). See my "NOTE:" below.

And there are plenty of MB things that, for some strange reason, only last 4 years that should last longer, but by and large, most of us know the previous history of our vehicles (not me, though - no records at all, but it only had 104K mi and I was told I was the 2nd owner), and take pride in all that, and in that some parts are still original. And it's not just an MB thing - I think it's more of a European trait - BMW, Audi, Ferrari, etc. - as well as a trait of true car buffs everywhere.

NOTE: If you have nothing else checked, CHECK the flex discs and the support bearing. I've included a pic of the flex disk - there are 2: one at the end of the transmission and the front of the driveshaft, and the other at the end of the driveshaft and the front of the differential. Also a pic of the center support, without the metal bearing. Eventually the rubber gets cracked, and you'll get vibrations of the driveshaft. It'll just bounce around the the inside of the bracket until you can't stand it anymore - I guess that's what happens - I replaced mine on my 220D when it started making noise. Now my 300D gets some vibration at certain speeds.

Und Wilkommen!

Attachments

·
Registered
'85 300D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank MB220D300D.

This dome light is rather dim. I thought so, and now that you mention the brightness of your replacement...

Tonight I didn't have a good base for making the bezel. The plastic I had was too soft and the stiff cardboard too thick to get the light back in. I'll try something else later. Anyway, it is nothing complicated for removal.

The long-lasting stuff isn't too strange. :) I grew using FarmAll tractors from the 40s on the farm, and they are still going strong.

I *am* new to MB though. It is fun reading up on all that I can.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
If you re-check your thread, re-read my post, last paragraph - I included a blurb about the flex joints, and a pic. MB uses these on EVERY car since whenever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts