Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 81 300D that whenever I drive over about 60mph for 10 minutes, the temp gauge steadily rises from it's normal position at 80 to around 90 without the a/c on. Is this considered a "normal" range? I know redline is 120 but could my thermostat be functioning incorrectly? If I reduce speed to 30-35 the temp drops to about 83 or so, and even sitting in traffic it's hovering around 85. I haven't heard the aux fan come on, but that may be only related to the a/c. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
90 C may be normal for your 81. Yes, it is a little higher than most experience, mine never makes it above 85 C in stop-and –go driving in summer with the A/C on.

You should be experiencing the opposite: hotter in stop-and-go and cooler on the highway. Your aux fan s/b on by the time it’s at 80 C with the A/C on. The T stat working incorrectly may cause the problem. When did you have the system flushed and filled? If its been a long time the may be deposits, air, or the coolant is no longer as efficient as it once was – a system flush and refill may solve the problem.

·
Registered
1980 300D
27 Posts
I've only been driving my car for just over a week. I have not even exceeded 60mph yet and I haven't seen the temp gage go over 50 yet. Granted there may be other issues, but would that be normal???

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
300K300D Let your engine warm up to full temp and if it does not go past 50* then dont drive it till you get it fixed. Your wearing out parts really quick that way. Diesels dont like running cold at all, just my .02 [^]

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
The original equiptment thermostate will start to open at 80c and will be fully open at 95c. Most engine that aren't pushed hard will stay around 80c but a very hot climate or hard run will push it higher. If neither is your case then I would flush the cooling system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I am "pushing" the car, but 65 mph it creeps up to the line between 80 and the 120 redline. I assume that's 90??? It's never gone any higher, but I live in the south and it's been about 80F outside and humid. No a/c running though. Stop and go it's just above the 80 most of the time. So a flush may do the trick?? THanks

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
That line is 100 deg C. Same as your car, my car did that on freeway runs, even higher when I went past 65mph. I changed my thermostat and it went between that line and 80 deg C (90 deg C). Thermostat was also broken...

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
You can pull out the thermostat and check it wil you flush but if you don't know when it has been flushed before than I would flush the system anyways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I flush the radiator, how will I know if the thermostat is bad? Where is it located? When flushing, is there a drain at the bottom of the radiator? Any advise, I've never flushed coolant before, just added more....[:D]

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
300K300D - 4/23/2005 1:01 PM

I've only been driving my car for just over a week. I have not even exceeded 60mph yet and I haven't seen the temp gage go over 50 yet. Granted there may be other issues, but would that be normal???

that would be a clear indication of a t-stat stuck open.
suggest you replace it soon as diesels do not like to run cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts