Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 300ce. the seat belt valet/extender works with 12volts but it doesnt extend when i close the door od drivers side. i know the the door switches work the valet/extender (after playing with the pass side). but the driver side wont work. it has power, i can pull it out manually and it will go back in with power, but it wont give me the seat belt when i shut the door. i have aquired a spare from the junk yard it does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi,
I was through Wrightwood about a month ago in my '93 300CE with the same problem as you. Except my extender works but won't retract when you close the door. I have to reach back and buckle it first, then manually push it back. Like you, I have four new door switches. I thought it was the switch in the seat belt buckle, found a good used one but this didn't solve the problem. There seems to be switches on the extender itself. Will try that next. :confused:
Anziani

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I AM ONE OF THOSE CRAZY GUYS THAT WANTS EVERYTHING TO WORK AS DESIGNED THIS 300 CE WAS 2400 BUCKS WITH A LOT OF SMALL PROBLEMS SEATBELTS WERE JUST ONE OF MANY...A/C, SUNROOF,POWER ANTENA (REBUILT BUT STILL NOT WORKING),AND HEADLITE WASHERS(FIXED)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Like a number of devices in our beloved vehicles, the seat belt extender is a combination electro-mechanical device. As such it wears out over time. In most cars the driver's side usage, as you would expect, far outweighs the passenger side usage.

This mechanism I believe has a generic "achilles heel" in that the plastic gears that drive the presenting arm back and forth wear out over time.
When this happens you may well find that whilst it engages in one direction it will fail to do so in another. A similar weakness to the up and down automatic headrests - go up but not down.

Easiest way to see if this is your problem is remove the panel and watch from the backset when the mechanism operates.

I believe you can replace the gear cogs IF you can find them as a after market part however MB only sell the entire mechanism. So I would start searching your favourite pick a part yards or eBay for suitable bits.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS FOR THE REPLY STORMTIGERS , I HAVE TORN IT ALL APART AND THE GEARS/ MOTOR LOOK IN VERY GOOD CONDITION ANT DO WORK WHEN WIRED TO A STAND ALONE BATTERY BOTH OUT / IN BUT SOMTHING IS PRVENTING IT FROM WORKING WHEN INSTALLED AND ITS NOT THE DOOR SWITCHES WORKING AS INTENDED.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SEAT BELT PRESENTERS!

:bowdown::confused:SOMEONE HAS HAD TO HAVE FIXE THIS BEFORE 631.jpg D

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
THANKS FOR THE REPLY STORMTIGERS , I HAVE TORN IT ALL APART AND THE GEARS/ MOTOR LOOK IN VERY GOOD CONDITION ANT DO WORK WHEN WIRED TO A STAND ALONE BATTERY BOTH OUT / IN BUT SOMTHING IS PRVENTING IT FROM WORKING WHEN INSTALLED AND ITS NOT THE DOOR SWITCHES WORKING AS INTENDED.
Okay good thats that elimniated. I get the feeling most people just replace the entire mechansim which can be a costly experience.

The next culprit I suspect would be the relay or micro switches that are attached to the mechanism.

Have a read of http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1572881-88-300ce-seatbelt-presenter-replacement.html#post4601700

AND

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1504310-230-ce-seat-belt-extender-does-3.html#post4033885

And browse through these :
View attachment 91-515.pdf
View attachment 91-508.pdf
View attachment 91-509.pdf
View attachment 91-520.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sam 300ce seatbelt mico switch

:thumbsup:Zender very helpful thank you. Yes its probaly the micro switch! Icheck it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you need the relays, I have some. I may have access to micro switches also.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

If you need the relays, I have some. I may have access to micro switches also.
I have a xtra switches from the pick-a-part presenter going to play with them tomarrow but thanks for your help. I noticed the micro switches come loose an float up (the loctite breaks down) and the switch does not make contact anymore. I hope that the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seat belt presenter update! My problem is most likely not the mechanism it self. Micro switches seem to work (but the little screws were loose and misaligned) There seem to be a number of things that can prevent the presenter from extendeing. The next thing I'm going to look at are the seat back locking mechinism. If it doesn't lock I belive it won't extend. If that doesn't work I'm lost in a world of presenter nightmare. Does any one out there in 124 land know how to deal with these things?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Seat back lock is not connected to the belt extender. My passengers seat back in the cab was not locking when I got the car but the extender always functioned. The extender is only activated if that door is opened and closed. It does sound like the door switch.

For the seat back lock first check the vacuum hose connection at the bottom of the seat. The hoses can come apart at the connector.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks vexed, I was wondering about that. But if one pulls the seat back forward the presenter retracts? I think.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks vexed, I was wondering about that. But if one pulls the seat back forward the presenter retracts? I think.
Good question, next time I drive the cab I will check. My thinking is the extender is dependent on the door being opened which would mean it works from the door switch. The seat back lock is activated when the car is in gear if my memory is right. if you are in P or N I believe it is not active.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SEAT BELT PRESENTERS

:confused: Thanks Vexed, Does any one else have anthing to ad about the presenters?

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey sam i know it's an old post but did you ever get around to repiaring that presenter? i have the same problem dam thing won't come out and i'm curious to what your solution was

·
Registered
154 Posts
Test the relay, it will click if activated by the switch in the door jam and should power the motor. If you have one side that works, try to plug in the working side to test. You can test the motor with 12V. Make sure every tooth on the pair of gears are intact. The relay and other parts changed design around '90/'91 in case you shop for replacements. If you need parts, contact me at [email protected].

1 - 20 of 20 Posts