Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300 CD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....most peoples' problems are usually "my car won't start". But...in my case...the engine starts but won't stop trying to start, even when the engine is running.
To add to the hilarity, when I pull out the key, the engine stops, but it's still trying to start! The only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery.

Ooooff...starter solenoid stuck? Any help/experience would be appreciated.

I think it's totally hilarious that, at one time, my car used to not stop when I pulled out they key, and now it doesn't stop starting when I pull out the key! Love this thing...

·
Registered
1981 300 CD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to be clear, this is not the usual the "car won't stop" kinda thing. The car keeps turning over, even after it starts...

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,036 Posts
As said the solenoid could be stuck, the forked arm inside of the starter could be stuck and I don't know about on a Mercedes starter but on old US cars if the flywheel was hand metal burs sticking out it could keep the pinion gear from getting loss from it.

To see if it is an ignition switch issue you need to get a test light or volt meter down where the small wire attaches to the solenoid and see if after you turn the key off the voltage to the solenoid is also shutoff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts