Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 300CD w/ 227K miles. The car is in good shape, but obviously has high mileage, even being 17 yrs. old.<br>
<br>
Kelly Blue Book values the car at only a bit over 2K, and I find that hard to believe.<br>
<br>
I'm wondering if the car would bring more in different areas of the country? or if I'm just stuck w/ a high-mileage, low-value vehicle?<br>
<br>
Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.<br>
Link w/ pics included.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Prices vary widely on location. Anywhere in the snow belt will be a lot less, since you can not avoid rust there no matter how hard you try. CD's are kind of rare, and usually fetch a decent price. $2k sounds low. I'd expect $2-$5k depending on location and condition of the car cosmetically (looks nice in the photos!) and mechanically. 227kmi is not that high, most people consider 300k+ to be high for a diesel, and under 200k to be 'low' (well, for older ones anyway.)<br> <br> <br> HTH,<br> <br> Dave M. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave-<br>
<br>
I've been thinking about selling the car, but I've also thought about keeping the car b/c in 3 years, it will be 20 years old. And I may be mistaken, but isn't 20 years what distinguished certain cars as turning into antiques or collectables? <br>
I may be wrong, but I thought I'd heard that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,<br> <br> I bought a 83 300CD out of LA for $1600, but I bought my car with 454,000 miles on it and I have 464,000 on it now. I have put in about 6k into it, fixing stuff. I have thought about selling it back to the lady I got it from because she wanted it back because she said she fit in it so well. But I have too much into it now. I think that your car is in better shape than mine. You should keep it. THey are quite rare. Obviously they last a long time. Keep it, put euro lights on it, lower it, put some 18' rims on it. If your engine ever blows up, put a V8 in it. That is my plan. I am going to keep fixing everything, and with my plan of putting in a V8, it will probably never blow up.<br> <br> I bet you could get around 2k wherever you try to sell it. I saw a dealer that sells german cars selling one for 3500. Maybe you can get more.<br> <br> Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kent, I was in the market for a 300cd. How much are you hoping to get? That is hight miles but if the car has no rust and it runs good maybe we can negotiate a price. Let me know if you are still looking to sell it. Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for the dealy Dave, but I'd forgotten about this post.<br> I can have the car checked, but I don't know of any rust and the car is a daily driver; it runs fine.<br> I was hoping to get in the neighborhood of 7-8K, but I just wasn't sure what others were bringing.<br> I think the 2K figure is way off, considering the car could easily go for another couple hundred thousand miles.<br> If you want to contact me directly, you can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we just bought a 300CD with 140k miles on it for 6k. The car is immaculate, showroom quality, and after my last experience with a Mercedes diesel I consider the mileage on it to be pretty low.<br> We had a 300D turbodiesel for the past three years (until it was recently totaled in an accident). We bought it with 150k on it and it had 250k when it went to its final reward, and never a single problem with the engine itself.<br> <br> I'm looking forward to many years of driving pleasure from our new (to us) 300CD :)<br> <br> - bax

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.