Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '85 300CD odometer has stopped working. My mechanic says 'don't worry about it, you're not going to sell that car.' But if I do decide to sell the car, I'll have no idea what the mileage has become. I've heard this is a pricy repair. Anyone have any experience or knowledge to help me out?<br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
id leave it, even if u did want to sell it would it be good that the mileage is less than ih has allready done?<br> <br> the engine is never gonna fail on u, dont worry.<br> only reasion ud wanna get it fixed is to show off in 10 years time how many miles it has done, while toyotas that ate half its age ate on the scrap heap each with no more than 200 000 on them.<br> <br> id guess its prob about $100 thats australian dollars wich these days is aprox $2.75 american.<br> <br> good luck<br> <br> Ps my odometer lost it in my old 300d, it still went left, right, foward, back. <br> its as useful as a straw to eat steak.<br> <br> louis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get it fixed, mostly because I like to check MPG and know when my oil changes are due. If you can pull the instrument cluster yourself (be VERY careful to re-attach the oil pressure line properly!) and take the cluster to a repair shop, it should only cost about $100-150 ($US) to fix. Add an hour or two labor to R&R the cluster if you can't do it yourself.<br> <br> <br> Good luck,<br> <br> Dave M. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having the exact same problem right now with my '78 300CD. Odometer just stopped working. I asked my mechanic how much to fix and it sounded like around $300.00. That included removing the odometer from the instrument cluster and sending it to an outside shop to be rebuilt. Before I do that I am going to see if I can take it out myself and have a go at it. Lots of times with geared parts like that, they can be fixed by blowing out all the soot and other junk with compressed air and possibly lubricated. Will have to just take a look and see what I am dealing with. When I find out more I will post again. Good Luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too have same problem with my 240D. Don't know if some small gears inside the gauge are broken, it works sometime though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.