Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1995 E320
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a carpet kit for my 1985 300CD off eBay from a vender in Germany that was advertised as "Manufactured in Germany from high quality imported German loop carpet" and I have some questions about it. I preface this buy saying I know nothing of automotive carpet vs any other carpet, but does automotive carpet have this very stiff type of backing. To me it just looks like ordinary berber carpet you would install in a home. The original carpets are more flexible and have a more "closed" backing. I am concerned that the open backing wouldn't take glue as well on the pieces that need to be glued.

And the driver's foot pad is absolutely the thinnest vinyl, total crap, which doesn't matter as I used a seem ripper and separated the original one from my worn out original carpets to be sewn onto the new carpets.

Yes, the loop is not the original style for a 1985 car, but I like the look.

I am now worried that I wasted money on an inferior product. Thankfully it wasn't a whole lot of money.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
338 Posts
I went down the carpet kit path with a sedan a few years back, although from a different company. Pretty much the same thing happened, I was sold some okay quality carpet that fit somewhat decent. The biggest problem was that the floor mats didn't stay put as there is a thick sound deadening material on the back of the originals which not only deaden sound but also keep the carpets securely in their respective locations. So far I haven't seen any carpet kit to include this and to me, it is a major down-grade as well as the driver side area where your feet naturally rest. Just now thinking about it but maybe it is possible to swap these pads out and put them on your new carpets, maybe not. Anyways, in your case, I feel confident you will have no issues adhering this carpet to the car with glue, and from what I remember the loop style looks just like this on the back of OEM Mercedes carpet. I'd advise contact cement FYI if you indeed install the carpets.

With every single car I've owned so far, I've learned to keep things stock and especially these cars. As soon as you start changing things on these cars, you're typically left with something that will either quit working or eventually annoy you. This is just my experience and opinion and surely there are a few exceptions but generally, there is no need to swap out interior parts for after-market as the originals are just unbeatable in terms of quality. Depends what your tolerance is though, I myself can't stand something half-assed. Not that what you're proposing is half-assed but I'm mainly thinking about all of the stupid things I've done with W123s in the past that, at the time, seemed like excellent ideas. One thing I know for certain is that I have regretted changing anything to aftermarket every single time.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1995 E320
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, most aftermarket upgrades are just the opposite, hard to improve on original MB. For instance, I wish I could buy upholstery kits that were actually made out of the real MB Tex, but I digress.
The foam backing/sound deadening on the matts was easily removed and my plan is to re-glue it onto the new carpet/matts. Additionally, the car will get Coco matts, so that will take care of them staying in place. The carpet/mat on the driver's side will get cut/modified and the OEM thick heel section sewn in, but again, this will eventually be covered by Coco matts. I swear by them for their overall quality.

I think maybe before I install this set I will ask for a few samples from the more noteworthy and more expensive venders like worlduph.com, germanautotops.com and gahh.com

From worlduph.com's site:
Mercedes-Benz used either square weave or a type of wool wilton carpet known as strae up to the early 1970s. They then switched to a wool blend carpet referred to as Import Loop which was replaced by another tightly woven cut pile carpet in the mid 1980s Feintuft Velour.

GAHH: $840.00
World UPH: No prices listed.
German Auto Tops: $495.00

I don't mind spending top dollar for top of the line products. There has to be, I would think, a company that offers high end materials for the higher end restorations.

·
Registered
1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
338 Posts
I think you should shop around, yes. That driver side heel section leaves a bad taste in my mouth. German Auto Tops is okay quality, wouldn't rave about them though. World UPH is supposedly the best quality. GAHH I've heard dropped in quality recently. I talked to world UPH for a seat pad not long ago I think they're based out of somewhere close to LA, friendly on the phone but prices are are astronomical. They wanted 250$ for one seat bottom pad on the driver's side IIRC. But for quality I bet it is close to MB, you'll have to research.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1995 E320
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The original carpets have a different weave on the back and are a lot more flexible than what came in the kit I bought.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1995 E320
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I will wait and see what the samples look like from the other sellers.

IMG_0595.jpg

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1995 E320
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a company in Germany that looks promising. Promising in that they offer several things I have not found on other vender's sites...

• The front section can be optioned with the original style rubber foot pad.
  • You can purchase the original foam padding.
  • Seems to be top of the line materials.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1995 E320
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures

Teppich_DB_Absatzschutz_Kollektion.jpg
Teppich_DB_123_Polsterunterlagen_01.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts