Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300CD, 1985.5 Porsche 944, 1969 Triumph TR6, 1998 Land Rover Discovery I, 1992 Volvo 240
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially bought the earlier multi-loop style carpet for my 85 300CD thinking I would like that look better than the original velour that came in the later model cars, but this didn't end up being the case. The multi-loop I bought off eBay and I wasn't overly happy with the quality. The carpet backing was very thick, almost like it was house carpet and not automotive carpet, but I am not an auto carpet expert.

My final purchase was a kit from German Auto Tops in the Velour. The quality of the carpet is top notch, but fitment is another issue. Again, I am not an interior expert, so with that being said feel free to offer advice and or comment.

Some of the pieces, particularly the back piece that fits vertical and across the car under the rear seats are not even close to fitting the contours of the body. Now this may be done intentionally to allow custom trimming, but the much cheaper in price and quality set I got off eBay fits perfectly in this area. I made paper templates from these pieces and will use these to test fit before cutting the new German Auto Tops pieces. I don't want to ruin a new piece of carpet. The only thing I am curious about is if the sedan rear area is contoured differently than the coupe and I was sent the wrong pieces or are they truly designed with extra material to be cut to fit?

As a novice I appreciate the pieces that are more accurately cut to how the original pieces were cut.

IMG_1589.jpg
IMG_1530.jpg
IMG_1531.jpg
IMG_1587.jpg
IMG_1588.jpg

·
Registered
1985 300CD, 1985.5 Porsche 944, 1969 Triumph TR6, 1998 Land Rover Discovery I, 1992 Volvo 240
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, lots of making templates and trimming a little at a time and the carpets are installed. Several of the pieces had to be trimmed a lot. I'm not sure why as if made to the exact size of the factory pieces they would have been a perfect fit. And I found a use for the loop carpet that I originally bought, they make decent mats until I buy some proper coco mats

IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1606.jpg

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,340 Posts
Wow. That’s a lot of work. Looks very nice.

FB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts