Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300CD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting an 1981 300CD. Does anyone know anything about lowering them? i know nothing about lowering this kind of vehicle and am curious to know. thanks..

·
Registered
'02 WRX Blue
41 Posts
It's been done, you can find some photos if you search.

You can do it ghetto styl...

It's been done, you can find some photos if you search.

You can do it ghetto style and chop a section of spring.

If you search real hard on some Euro web sites you can find actual "performance" springs that lower a W123.

Heres a link to a set from the UK http://www.msport.co.uk/acatalog/Mercedes_lowering_springs_from_chassis_dynamics.html

Shane Kullman
'82 300D Silver

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
I lowered my 1980 w123 230

Hello
Please dont cut your springs, oh thats so wrong.
i bought from europe, out of bury st.edmonds england a set of venture, dtm quality progressive wound springs. they were a little over 100 dollars and the air shipping about the same (almost next day) there is no duty or tarrif tax as you are allowed to import it for private use. to install them my dad had to "invent" a set of compressors. he modified an american set of claws to go inside the coil and connect to a front or rear plate to mimic the factory tool. worked great, or you can rent one from performance products. the springs were a 45mm drop, and were from eurocarparts. i used bilstien hd shocks, the ride is compromised, but i also have 17" monoblock wheels so i asked for it.
hope this helps
pictures no problem email me ([email protected])
jake

·
Registered
1981 300CD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help. some pictures would be nice if u could send them to me. how long did...

thanks for your help. some pictures would be nice if u could send them to me. how long did this lowering project take?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
IT TOOK A DAY

hello to put the springs in, it took my father and i one full day. that does not include making the plates for teh compressor on the bench which were bent up to match a old set of stock springs front and rear. while we were at it i bought all of teh different thicknesses of rubber cups from the stealership to adjust to what i wanted.
jake

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 300CD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice ride man

shit thats a nice ride man. Thats kind of what i am looking to do to my benzo. what is that body kit u got on the front? i like it. do u have a full body kit all around the car? and where do u find those headlight conversions? do u have to order them off some website? i like what u have done to your car it looks dope. how much $$$ have u put into it. right now i have a lowered mazda b2200 but it should be gone in like 2 weeks or so. my grandpa is selling me his benz and its in perfect condition for $2000. and i dunno if your from the states but thats canadian dallars. so i will have liek just over $2000 to put into it after i sell my truck.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
thanks its home made

Hello
I made the Body kit (full front,sides,rear) my self after only finding old and dated body kids. i carved it out of pink house foam from home depot, then cast a fiberglass copy from it. i lost the mold when i made the fiber glass copy, but i am looking into making one that i can reproduce if people want to help me with supplies. i have a total of about 6,000 into it (initial cost, new engine-trans, paintjob, 3 sets of wheels,ect.) i hope this helps -check out a bit more on mercedeshop/performance.
thanks
Jake
the picture is of me taking out the foam from inside of the fiberglass cast.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 300CD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey would you mind sending me some more pics of the body kit u have made. like the back an...

Hey would you mind sending me some more pics of the body kit u have made. like the back and the sides. You are the only guy on here with a nice old lowered benz.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
[V]
I would love to, but my car is in our garage for some new tricks, my dad and i are installing a mustang gt front mount rack and pinion steering set up, a new motor that is some what built up nothing crazy with a eaton m-90 supercharger and 3 row air to air intercooler, and a new 5 speed. so the car is pretty tore apart right now, i can send stuff (picts) in the spring when its all on again, ive never really taken photos of it. sorry - but buffalo, ny winters are long and cold and you need a involved project to stay busy. take care - jake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.