Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that my door lights on the wagon are staying on, when I open the passenger rear door the light goes off close goes on Driver side rear door also on

is that much of a drain on battery and how do I get them to go off ?

I have played with the male door switch nothing so I am at a loss thanks

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
What year? By door lights do you mean *only* the puddle lamps in the door panel bottom? The C-pillar and D-pillar lights aren't actuated exactly the same way as those puddle lamps.
The C-and D-pillar lamps on my 88 TE#2 are giving me trouble at the moment and I haven't been able to track down the problem.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Assuming that the dash switch for the cargo lamps is in the middle "OFF" position:

If only the *rear door* puddle lamps are staying on and you've checked both of the rear door switches there are a couple of possibilities:

1) wiring at the B-pillar is broken or has broken insulation. This often causes problems with the power window circuits but the puddle lamp wires pass through there as well. If the brown wire is damaged and touching the body the puddle lamps will stay on.

2) the courtesy lamp switch mounted on the liftgate closer mechanism or the wiring to/from it has failed. This wiring starts at the switch and goes through a grommet at the liftgate RH (I think) hinge and then goes forward.

That closer mechanism switch is fun to get at:

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
puddle lampc on 300te 1989

Thanks for the help, I think I had the rear door slightly off the lock when I removed the stuff in the back the lights were not on !

So we'll chalk that up to the Christian scientist

1 - 6 of 6 Posts