Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1979 300 TD waggon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 300TD waggon home today. I bought it knowing that there would probably be an electrical problem. The car has to be jump started. I removed the cables before I settled in for the night and placed the battery on a charger. I thought I will check it in the morning to see if it has enough juice to crank. I understand it may be something as simple as a bad battery. I will trace the leads in the morning to see if there are any bad spots vissible. t Tommorow night I will remove the cables before bed and see if it will start in the morning. trying to rule out a bad battery.

Can any of you old hands give me any pointers on where to cheeck next and how ?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
If the battery and voltage regulator check out ok look for corroded cables or a loose or broken ground strap from the tranny/engine to the chassis. If the battery is still draining you’ll need to attach a test lamp between the positive terminal and the positive cable. If the lamp is on with all systems off (to the best of your knowledge) then there is a drain somewhere. With the lamp still attached open the fuse box and start puling fuses until the light goes out. That will be the draining circuit. Then check each item on the circuit for a drain. Sometimes, for example, the antenna motor is stuck on and will drain the battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts