Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever replaced the auto trans in a 1983 Turbo Diesel Wagon with a 5 speed? If so, What will fit? Were they ever sold with a 5 speed new?

·
Registered
240D
7 Posts
5 speed tranny swap

I live in Southern California where there is an abundance of salvaged MB parts in the local junkyards. I looked for a 5 speed tranny that would fit a W123 for more than a year but had no success.

Although these transmissions were produced, they were rarely imported into the US market. My solution which has turned out to have very pleasing results was to use the standard 4 speed with a taller rear end. The 300Dt in 1985 came with a taller differential ratio 1:2.81 as opposed to the standard 1:3.xx on all other diesel models. So my modified 1979 240d now has a 1981 300Dt under her hood, a 4 speed manual tranny and a differential from a 1985 300Dt. It easily cruises at 95 MPH and gives me 28 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving.

Good Luck
[:)]

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1995 Audi 90quattro Sport
103 Posts
Sounds VERY interesting... Is the 4spd. conversion a direct bolt up to exisiting mounts fo...

Sounds VERY interesting... Is the 4spd. conversion a direct bolt up to exisiting mounts for the auto tranny? What did you do about pedals, etc?
Thanks.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I have not done the conversion, but if I remember it also involves a new fly wheel, there ...

I have not done the conversion, but if I remember it also involves a new fly wheel, there is a clutch cylinder, and that people who have done it say that having a 240D stick parts car on location makes the process much easier then running back and forth to the salvage yard trying to remember what is needed and where everything goes.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
With a little luck I will be doing the conversion next month. I am picking up a junk eu...

With a little luck I will be doing the conversion next month. I am picking up a junk euro wagon w/ a 4spd stick. If there was any justice in this world it would have had the 5spd in it, but there's not. I'm considering finding the guy who bought it origional and berating him for not spending the extra couple bucks on the extra gear!
I'll let you know how things are going in 4-6wks!
-M-

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Moftaki;
I'm sure you're highway speed is improved, but what about off the line? How m...

Moftaki;
I'm sure you're highway speed is improved, but what about off the line? How much did you sacrifice there? The conversion I will hopefully attempt is going to be on a non-turbo and I need all the lowend I pickup I can get!

·
Registered
'02 WRX Blue
41 Posts
I realize this isn't totally the same

But could a qualified Tranny shop modify the automatic to have a taller fourth gear (and maybe slightly taller 3rd)? That way you'd keep the low first-second for off the line?

Shane Kullman
'82 300D Silver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.