Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finish looking at a 90 300sl. Absolutely glorious condition. Looks just like it was off a showroom floor, I'm not kidding. Has 105k on the clicker. Car runs excellent. But when backing up, gear whines a bit, and when the gas pedal is not depress, the car clunks when it stops. Also, I notice some noise that sounds like an air leaking in the the right rear end of the car. Any suggestions. I love this car's condition so much that I can bypass this would-be problem if I know what it is. Don't have the time to get the car check because I live 450 miles away. Any owner out there know what it is. Can you please help ASAP because the car will probably sell fast!

·
Registered
3 Posts
leak noise is one of 2 things

Most likely the fuel pumps are going (2) they both should be replaced. Or the hydraulic pump for the convertible (in the wheel well) is straining. I replaced my pumps and the noise disappeared.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
leaking noise in right rear

We just picked up our 300SL 92 and my wife was really irritated by this noise at the right rear, sounded like a high whining and not really a leak. Took your suggestion and replaced both pumps at the same time (and put in a new filter while I was down there) and the car is now perfectly quiet back there.

Great suggestion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kudos to you!

glad to hear you fixed your noise problem. Best wishes to you and your benz. Plan on socking away a few bucks now and then for unexpected repair costs. They are worth it though. We are the SL generation and our 10 year old cars are better than most peoples brand new cars. Drive with pride!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the welcome

This is the fourth in my series of MBZ, first was 1967 250SL roadster "california edition" (no soft top "it never rains in California" ;-)
followed by family cars 240D & 190D (which my son totaled by t-boning some folks who drove out of a supermarket into traffic to turn left), and now the 92SL.

Really like the car so far, and from the horror stories I hear about some of the newer models, I made a great choice.

Chuck

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
BTW... I think all SLs make a wining noise when backing up. My car does it, and the dealer...

BTW... I think all SLs make a wining noise when backing up. My car does it, and the dealer told me that was normal. (If anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
"whine" when reversing

Used to notice it in my 240D with a manual transmission and even a little in the 190, but in my SL even with the top down I haven't heard it. Of course I don't go in reverse as fast as I used to, when I was young, either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts