Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 1988 300 SEL in very good condition. I just had two new Michelins and a front end alignment done. The original shocks are 20 years old, and after having the tires and alignment done, the suspension does feel a little squishier than I would expect. So the question is 1) If you were to replace the shocks, would you go with the original Boge's, or, is there another brand/type of shock that would better serve this model? Please advise.

Will inquire about cooling problem later.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I just purchased a 1988 300 SEL in very good condition. I just had two new Michelins and a front end alignment done. The original shocks are 20 years old, and after having the tires and alignment done, the suspension does feel a little squishier than I would expect. So the question is 1) If you were to replace the shocks, would you go with the original Boge's, or, is there another brand/type of shock that would better serve this model? Please advise.

Will inquire about cooling problem later.

Yes you can go Factory Original. Good luck with that.
There are three alternatives
1-Bilstein HD Shocks
2-Koni Shocks
3-KYB Shocks

I am sure there are others.
If your tires were no longer good and your alignment was off, ( like mine was last month ) Yes the Suspension Dynamics will be "off".
It would have been BETTER for you to replace the shocks THEN do the Alignment

When you get the Shocks done, your Alignment and the $$$ you paid for it will
go to a complete waste.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK on the wasted cash. Don't like that but, education is expensive. So which shock do you like the best? Are there performance differences? Would you stay away from the Monroe products?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Bilstein is really the only way to go. I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to over the years who were unhappy after trying an alternative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts