Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 300 continues to have a bit of a hic-up. She don't seem to happy w/all the attention I've been giv'n her. I have replaced the pluggs, cables, rotor & cap. She's been a little better but should I replace the coil as well? It tends to "bogg down" at inoportune moments and not stay lit after I start her ... or would some chocolate & roses do the trick...

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The coil is possible – does it do this hot and cold? Is there excessive cranking or smoke? Overheating? Poor fuel mileage? How many miles?

(I hope none of the above is classified…)
[|)]

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly when cold, 202k miles, no smoke or overheating, I'm about to find out the desert isn't known for its kind summers.For the moment your cleared for Benzo classification, how-ever I think the the fuel mileage may be, haven't checked.[:p]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Ok, over 200,000 miles – as noted before check the coil – rule out a spark problem. If that checks out we’ll move on the fuel delivery and engine management. It could be anything from a failing fuel pump relay to the OVP relay to a bad fuse. [:(]

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How exactly does one go about checking the coil?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The best and safest way to test the coil is on a scope – there is very high voltage (hence the lighting bolt on the air cleaner) and I would take it to a shop for a test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts