Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300sd turbo 137k
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after owning my sweet 300 sd for about 10 months, while i have enjoyed every mile i have noticed a few things that need some attention.

i have checked all the sites i.e. turbodiesel, diesel giant, mercedes source also some other forums. all of which have given me a thousand things i would like t od o to the car. i have a list of things i would like to do but not sure where to start.

1st things first, the cold weather start and lack of block heater. i replaced two glow plugs when i first got the car because they were bad, i believe the other ones may either be bad or badly corroded.

which glow plugs are the best and where to buy them cheaply?

is the lower radiator heater from diesel giant still the heater from tractor supply or 18$? will this work or should i get a magnetic heater pads from katz.

also i was thinking of replacing the injectors, again which are best?

where do i buy a service manual?

regarding power seats, how do i get the buttons off and how do i take the module off the door?

i would like to be able to boil the tires off this car. is this possible? can i put a cold air intake of sorts on the car? how about a hush power muffler or bigger exhaust pipe?

obvioulsy the flex disk failure can be catastrophic, can i do this myself? where do i buy them for best price?

i have replaced all filters and have performed the valve adjustment in my garage.

also i noticed this weekend that the odometer is not working properly, i.e., i drive 10 miles and it shows 3. can i fix this when i pull the speedometer console?

thanks in advance. DA

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Make sure all your glow plugs are good. Use Bosch, available at my, anyway, local AutoZoo ~$10 each.

Adjust the valves, this will help a cold start too. Can't help with the add on heater hose, I live north of you and don't use the block heater.

I'll suggest having the injectors tested before simply replacing them, a Bosch authorized diesel mechanic shop can do that, check the yellow pages.

Mercedes-Benz 300 SD, 300SDL, 300 SE, 300 SEL, 350 SD, 350 SDL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 380 SEC, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 500 SEC, 560 SEL, 560 SEC 1981-1991 Repair Manual is where you can purchase the cd-rom Factory Service Manual from.

Those seat buttons are old brittle plastic, so be careful, you may need to remove the entire switch from the door.

The car already has pretty good breathing, including a cold air intake, a larger exhaust pipe will do little to nothing for performance. Increasing or decreasing back pressure will have a negligible effect. Check around the web for tips on how to increase power, nothing here other than to increase the fuel and air to match. If you want to boil tires, use a different engine, everything is mechanical, so no simply replacing chips.

Inspect your flex disc, if you see anything suspect, replace them, otherwise they're fine.

I have been using these folks: Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips for my parts place.

Well done on the valves and filter changes.

Search around the site for info on odo repair.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Yup those seat buttons just pop off but be careful. They are clipped on quite tight. Then the covering piece of plastic can be removed. The module itself is only held to the door with two screws.

Theres loads on odo repairs. You will need to obtain and fit a tiny cog.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
after owning my sweet 300 sd for about 10 months, while i have enjoyed every mile i have noticed a few things that need some attention.

i have checked all the sites i.e. turbodiesel, diesel giant, mercedes source also some other forums. all of which have given me a thousand things i would like t od o to the car. i have a list of things i would like to do but not sure where to start.

1st things first, the cold weather start and lack of block heater. i replaced two glow plugs when i first got the car because they were bad, i believe the other ones may either be bad or badly corroded.

which glow plugs are the best and where to buy them cheaply?

is the lower radiator heater from diesel giant still the heater from tractor supply or 18$? will this work or should i get a magnetic heater pads from katz.

also i was thinking of replacing the injectors, again which are best?

where do i buy a service manual?

regarding power seats, how do i get the buttons off and how do i take the module off the door?

i would like to be able to boil the tires off this car. is this possible? can i put a cold air intake of sorts on the car? how about a hush power muffler or bigger exhaust pipe?
obvioulsy the flex disk failure can be catastrophic, can i do this myself? where do i buy them for best price?

i have replaced all filters and have performed the valve adjustment in my garage.

also i noticed this weekend that the odometer is not working properly, i.e., i drive 10 miles and it shows 3. can i fix this when i pull the speedometer console?

thanks in advance. DA
I'm sorry Oldtown. There are a ton of guys who will have all those answers. I'm in the middle of total collapse of a lot of things and just stopped in to see how Sam is. Try the search function as you've got some common problems and there's a lot of post covering them. I have to say though that after just getting out of my SD and having not driven it for several months that the idea of boiling the tires off brought tears of laughter out of me! I needed that! I'll catch up with the forum in a month or two... Thanks!

·
Registered
1985 300sd turbo 137k
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am so glad i can offer some laughter, actually the thought of boiling the tires made me laugh too. i will search the site for odo repairs and trouble shooting. i will be careful with the seat switches and not do it when it is 20 in NC. the overnight shipping of my new monovalve from parts express did not make it, i am little disappointed that i have to drive back to the mtns with no heat. hopefully it will make it in the am. i love this car and was wanting to keep the current stereo but would like to be able to add blue tooth capabilities and possibly a trunk cd player. has this been done before? i am also thinking of tinting the windows. the headlights are very dim on low, can i do something to make the seem brighter? the taillights suffer from the same affliction. i ahve also notcied the taillights have one space that is empty can i make a jumper of sorts to give my self another running or brake light? thanks DA

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Any modern head unit can be installed, trunk amp/cd changer as well, some came that way from the factory, I think.

Make sure the headlights are aimed properly and/or swap 'em out with newer units, even Hella's or something similar. Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - Headlight For 1985 Mercedes Benz 300SD Base 5 Cyl 3.0L Rear lights are of the old school technology, don't increase the wattage. The extra unwired socket is used on Euro models as an extra tail light when the fogs are turned on. Some folks have wired them up to do the same thing. I imagine someone here on the forum has done that, perhaps you can find info on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts