Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300 SD sold
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I agreed to pay $300 for a 1984 240D. About 300K miles (odometer broken) I have owned two in the past.
manual windows and shift with sun roof- no leaks . New 2009Michelin tires no more than 3 k miles. Body is clean except some oxidization. Orig owner. They rebuilt the engine and did much repairs. Were religious about the oil and kept tons of documented work. They either bought a Teutonic Lemon ( was bought in Germany and shipped over gray market) or they got suckered at the mechanics shop. I could not believe all the work they put into it; probably paid for the car again in repairs.

But the last problem was the last straw and they decided to bail. It started up right away for me even on a chilly 40 F day. However,The car has no power after it warmed up. I drove it pretty cold and it made it fine up hills and then when I took it out for an Italian tuneup- fast on highway -- well,lets just say it pulled a Mussolini!-- this is where it just poked along I was not sure if I could get it back up the hill to their home-and it was not exactly the alps either!

The mechanic notes claims it did the fuel lines/screens/tank test/air leaks. And it supposedly helped for a very short time when filters were RRed. They claim the next step would have been the injectors. Easy enough and cheap. Someone suggested a broken spring in injectors may cause that same symptom -- when cold it is not apparent because the broken spring stays in tact...

Their mechanic also talked about the injection pump. But my own mechanic warned that 240ds rarely start if that was the case.
So we have timing the injection pump maybe - because it did sound like it was missing and hesitating on the highway.

Could be the valves need adjustment? For all those repairs you would think the mechanics would adjust them every 15k. but could not find the documentation on first dig.

The chain? but that seems unlikely since it supposedly had an engine rebuild 100 k ago.

any suggestions, I would love to score on this one and the owner seems fine with parting with it at that price. I really love these engines with a stick-- really gives you a true race car feel.Yes thats right! You have to really work it to get speed out of em- like an indy car. Fast around corners cause it is very stable w ind/sus unseen during those years in American cars,and lots of noise to get it done. Speed is relative and an illusion so you get to cheat the cops out of tickets with all the giddyness of a Le Mans driver.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
also have a look in the filter even though they were done. If it has algae in the tank it could have plugged them all again.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes 300D Euro Spec
462 Posts
You mentioned the engine was rebuilt. Was it rebuilt back to euro specs or us specs because there are differences between a euro and a us engine. If it had an egr put on it rip it out / disable it, euro models never had egr's. If its rust free or mostly rust free you got a great deal:thumbsup: Post some pics of it, its not every day you find an original owner euro model

·
Registered
1986 300 SD sold
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats it all about Algae?

Thanks guys,

When I get her home I will show pics.
This 123 has no rust

So How do I clean algae out of a tank?

I am hoping you are correct about Algae, I live in the northwest and the algae grows on roofs faster than hair grows on x's my face. Yet cars here don't rust because we don't use salt like in NY.

This may have been pre-owned in the Fatherland, but it had only a very limited miles on it.

As for EGR. I will look into that, but while we are on it, The last 240D (non Euro)I bought from SO CAL (I'll never do Ebay again)did have more rust than I should have tolerated also had a unique problem. Oil would spit into the air Intake past the air filter from the valve cover via an EGR. I played around with the egr that fed into the air filter and discovered that the engine stalled when I put my thumb over it! Someone said it had worn valve guides and sooner or later the engine would choke from pneumonia --too much oil back into the cylinders. Remarkably it had good power for an auto 240d and burned oil about A quart /1000 MILES. I never lie to buyers so I told the buyer and he couldn't care less and never complained about the car after that (live in a small town - thats why I never lie and moved from NY)

I believe the 240d have more miles per capita vehicle than any other car ever made! In hell the Germans may tell the jokes, but in heaven they build cars!http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
In the tank are fungi, not algae. They can be treated with a fungicide or at worst, remove and clean the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts