Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 E320 Cab, 93 400E, 87 300TD, 92 300CE24 Sportline, 94 SL320, 92 500E, 99 SL600R, '02 CLK55
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing the head gasket on my 91 300D 2.5 Turbo due to excessive smoking and oil drippage from around #1 cylinder exhaust port. I got the turbo off today and I found oil in both the Turbo discharge (charge air pipe is very oily) and the Turbo inlet. Inlet air line is oily all the way back to the air filter outlet. Only source that makes sense to me is the PCV line, but what would cause this?

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
952 Posts
Either blowby or the headgasket you are going to replace. Just did the headgasket on my 93, had external leakage at #1 sealing surface plus had started putting out huge amounts of smoke (one day fine, then the next = clouds). The gasket had failed at the front of #1 bore, right into the oil passage. Allowed oil to be sucked in and/or pressurized the block, resulting in huge volume of oil laden air out the valve cover into the turbo. Worst part of the job was cleaning all the turbo and intake parts that were covered with oil and deposits (both inside and out).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts