Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a Mercedes Benz 300D Straight5 Automatic that is in need of a little work.

The starter needed replacing, the Tranny is GOING to need replacing, and I'm getting some wierd sounds from the engine.

Whenever I accelerate I get this loud knocking sound. Some friends seem to think it's a valve head or a bearing internally that's worn down or out of place.

Any other suggestions? And if it IS a valve-head, am I best to just use this car as a parts car, or try and repair it?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Year?

Miles/km?

How much did you pay for the car?

Do you hear the sound at idl...

Year?

Miles/km?

How much did you pay for the car?

Do you hear the sound at idle? Is the engine warm or cold or both when you hear the sound? Try to find out what area of the engine it's coming from. Is there lots of smoke? Easy or hard to start?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 76.

Not too sure about the Km. The odometer is broken, but I'm TOLD it is a fa...

It's a 76.

Not too sure about the Km. The odometer is broken, but I'm TOLD it is a fairly new engine.

I paid 600 bucks for it.

And no, I don't hear the sound at idle, only when accelerating, although it seems to get louder when the engine is warmer.

It's hard to start, and the exhaust is pretty thick, yeah.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I'd try to fix the car

A fairly new engine should not be hard to start. Fortunately you paid only 600 dollars for the car. The glow plugs may be bad, or the filters may need replacing. There could be a problem with the injection pump, they can ware out and cause excessive smoke and hard starting. How’s the body? Is there a lot of rust? How’s the gearbox? If you have some time and money, assuming the rest of the car is OK, you might want to see about getting the engine up to speed. You will also need to have someone check into the engine noise, otherwise the above is moot. If not I’d say you’ve got a parts car.

I, of course, believe in fixing them up, these are great cars. I think if the body’s good one should try to fix them up. These cars run forever. The engine noise may be only a needed valve adjustment and timing chain check. I’m concerned about the noise getting louder when under load and warm – it would not hurt to take it to a shop for a look-see. Please keep me posted and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.