Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting some new tires mounted on the monoblocks and the installer is going to allow me to hang out under the car with a decent camera so I am going to take some shots of different points of concern under it, like rotors, ball joints, flex discs, shocks and whatever else I can think of without being annoying.

If he will allow me to drop the shield I am gong to take some shots of the manifolds, neutral switch, and steering box but that may not happen.

Anyone have any requests? I'm heading over in an hour or so.

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not.

They bind up on me in the crack. But thanks for participating.:D:eek:
I'll post some pics after I get them downloaded off the camera.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more

I'm not going to annotate all these and got the order mixed up already so here's more...

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flex disc in front looks like it is getting natty

Compared to the rear one just above this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some rubber bits giving way on the sway bars

They do look ok, but need a look again when I am not in a tire shop making other customers crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
KLOBBR PRODUCTIONS

in association with his local tyre shop

PRESENTS

CABRIO- BETWEEN THE SHEETS​

An epic unedited, uncensored show all tale of what the 320CE Cabrio has underneath its day wear ! :eek:

You'll be amazed, confused and panting for more when she reveals all on the big screen ! :p

Coming to a forum near you August 9 !:bowdown:

Great piccies Bob - she looks pretty darn neat and tidy under there !
Can't wait to see the finished product ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
Great choice on the new wheels! Be sure to post a glamour shot of the finished product.

Bill

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was just a matter of time, eh Stormy?!?

Okay, here are some pics from immediately after the install and I didn't get to cleaning up the wheels beforehand because they were shipped directly to the installer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and the best for last

the backside.

Very pleased with the fit, the rubber extends over the rim so no curbing, and again Stormtigers nailed the tire sizing and AMG nailed the look.

Thanks all,
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300D 2.5 Turbo 305k, 2001 S600 110k, 2007 GL320CDI 4Matic 155k, 2007 E320 Bluetec 160k
139 Posts
Funny story - I just tried to have bigger wheels installed on my w124... its in a thread created 10 minutes ago. I got screwed but nevertheless did you have to get new lug bolts to put on the monoblocks?

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear that. I have had plenty of guidance here and I still sweated it out until today.

I did a direct swap from the factory 16" 8 hole wheels to staggered 17"x7.5" ET35 fronts and 8.5" ET30 rears on 235/45/17 Continental Extreme Contact DW tires all around and used the same lug nuts. The lug heads are deeply set into the wheel as you can see in the first pic, but I don't mind.

These wheels came off of a 2000 E55 Sport per the seller.

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does feel different.

The compound of the tires is much softer than the DWS, but also very quiet. The kind of quiet that makes the ride seem more refined. Its slightly nimbler feeling (as Stormy noted) and the shallower sidewall definitely translates into turning with less side slip and bounce. The wider rear is not noticable for me but it looks great. Since the sidewalls are firmer the chassis is reflecting that energy as more vibration when you hit the crappy surfaces or rail crossings, but not enough for me to doubt the decision.

I like the improvement a lot. What kind of mileage I will get out of these tires is another story.

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
There you go, pleased you're happy with the result.

Those rear swaybar droppers look a little worn. Replacing the sway bar bushes front and rear makes quite a bit of difference to the way the car feels - cheapish to do too......

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed.

I will get to them before winter. I am also thinking to replace both flex discs since the forward one is cracking in that one spot you can see in the pic.

Thanks Inspector!
Bob

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
If those are all seasons...sometime in your supremely beautiful car's life, consider a set of summer tires. You will notice a significant noise reduction, imo a surprising difference.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32AMG,1995 E320 Cab 1990 300CE(Gone).2002 ML320 (Gone)
477 Posts
Watch out for tire rubbing on the front.

I have a '95 E320 cab which I put 17" monoblocks on last summer.
Last weekend as I was changing the brake pads (both axles), I noticed slight rubs on the cladding at the rear of the front fenders, inside the wheel arches. I was surprised since I'd used those wheels with 225 series tires for many years on my previous 1990 300CE with no rubbing issues.
If you're using 235 wide tires I'd keep an eye out for rubbing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts