Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<p>Im looking at a 1985 300 CD with approx. 160,000 miles on it. I have been told to make sure to do a compression check and also check the air conditioning system. Are there any other things I should be looking for on this model? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check the two front ball joints to make sure that the seals are not cracked or broken. This can be done fairly easily by looking under the front of the car where the wheels connect to the rest of the car. There is a rubber seal there that is in plain view(where all the rods and what-not come together). If the seal looks cracked and dry, that is a rather expensive repair job. I own 3 300CDs, and it has been somewhat of a recurring problem due to the roads that I drive on(dirt roads). Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
check for rust behind the mouldings that go around the doors and roof. check right behind the rear windows. Also, check to make sure the rear windows roll down with ease, and that the seats only move forward if you press the button on the side (its vacuum operated, if it moves freely there could be a vacuum leak). As far as checking compression, it shouldnt be an issue at 160k. Most importantly, make sure it has been maintained with MB parts, with the right oil, oil filters and services. Another thing, walk around with a magnet to make sure there arent any big bondo areas, and, last but not least, the biggest trouble spots on these cars is the piece of garbage transmission. If it hasnt been rebuilt, it will be soon. Im sure i have more horror stories about my 300cd, so if you have any questions, let me know.
cheers,
justin

82 300cd turbo.
in the middle of a restoration

1 - 3 of 3 Posts