Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my second w204, a 2011. Being an engineer I notice that in the lower gears the full rated horsepower is not available. Stoplight performance is pretty mundane but then by the time you get to about 4th gear there is clearly more HP. I read the thread on auto trans lag time. This is associated with it. The transmission shifting is slow and the full power is not available because the engine controller is programmed to be easy on the driveline for durability.

For my previous cars (V8 american cars) there were always aftermarket engine programs available to increase HP and other performance parameters? Either a chip that you replaced or a program you could download from a programmer like a Predator.

Is there anything available for our cars? I don't even need more power, just the full rated power in all gears and maybe better responsiveness.

thanks, Matt

·
Registered
2008 C350 Sport
79 Posts
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. There are a few companies that make ECU/Chip upgrades, but they're pretty expensive. Here are a few links:

UPsolute.com The Chiptuning Company

Brabus tunes 2008 Mercedes C-Class - Carscoop

Kleemann - 350 V6 (M272)

SINGH AUTOSPORT | Performance ECU Tuning

I just bought a Sprint Booster that helps speed up throttle response. It doesn't make any horsepower or your car faster, but it makes the computer respond faster to your accelerator input. I hate trying to pass someone, flooring it, and then waiting 2 seconds for it to give it gas and kickdown a couple of gears to take off. The SB just makes the pedal think that 1/4 of the way down is really 1/2 way down, and 1/2 down makes the computer think it's at 3/4, etc. Some people will argue that it's BS and claim that you should read the "White Paper" report about the Sprint Booster. All I know is that when I hit the gas now, it accelerates like I want it to without the "pause". I only paid $125 for it, so I think it was worth it. The adjustable one is $300+, which I think is WAAAYYYY too high for what it does. Here are some links for it. If you can find one relatively cheap, it's worth it. But $300 for a signal booster, well....

Sprint Booster Wins "Best New Product" at SEMA Show in Las Vegas - Modified Magazine

Sprint Booster Plug In Throttle Delay Eliminator - Jp Magazine

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
1,021 Posts
Powerchip is the best bang for your buck honestly. Singh is a really solid tune as well. All others are kind of eh.

If you get a tune, most will remove your throttle lag, so no need for sprint booster. Personally I'm not a fan of sprint booster for a variety of reasons, but it's up to you.

·
Registered
1991 300 CE-24
872 Posts
I looked at Kleemann, Powerchip and Upsolute, and honestly, I think I like Upsolute the best.

Klemann is the most expensive - in Toronto they quoted me $1700 for ECU tuning that would add 12hp/12tq to my C230.

Powerchip is approx. $700 and they state that they add 20hp/18tq to my C230.

Upsolute quoted me at $500 and they state that they add the same 20hp/18tq as Powerchip. I am just waiting for their rep in Ontario to get the right equipment for my car before I get it.

On a side note - it seems to be so much harder to find anything for cars in Canada, than in US, it is not even funny. I am jealous sometimes. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1991 300 CE-24
872 Posts
I can't seem to find any PowerChip installers in Ontario.

·
Registered
2008 C350 Sport
79 Posts
Powerchip...

Hi AZN,

Have you used Powerchip? I'm interested in doing an upgrade. Their website listed an OBDII upgrade for our C350's, but I think it was about $700. How hard is it to remove the ECU? I don't have a sales rep in my area. I only got the Sprint Booster because I didn't know if an ECU flash would minimize throttle lag. To get about 20 hp for $400 or $500 would be worth it. I'm looking to buy a mid-80s Slantnose Porsche 911(http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...dist=1043&standard=false&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT AND http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...dist=1634&standard=false&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT ), so I'll probably stop modding my Benz and focus on my new toy. Heck, I can buy a sportscar for less $ than all those poser tools are paying for a Hardly-Able-son motorcycle.

·
Registered
1991 300 CE-24
872 Posts
All you gotta do is mail your ECU to Powerchip, they flash, and mail back. It's what most people out of region do with tunes.
Call me old-fashioned but I don't feel comfortable shipping my car's ECU anywhere. I would much rather do it in person and only Kleemann or UPsolute can do that in Ontario. With Kleemann being so damn expensive, UPsolute seems like the logical choice for me.

I've never removed the ECU myself, but I've seen it done and took like a couple minutes. Remove the air box, pop the heat sink and unscrew the ECU.
I am pretty sure the other MB W204 forum has detailed instructions on how to remove the ECU with pictures included.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe there's a group buy currently going on with powerchip at around $400.
I just purchased 2009 C300 and love the car except this down-shift lag that automatic trany gives you when you need to make fast acceleration. I looked for the powerchip group buy on this forum and didn't see any? Do I need to look in another forum section?
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts