Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my sons' 99 ML430 just ticked over 300,000. She's still running great. He headed back to school today and other than topping off all fluids, adding a few psi to the tires and reattaching a mudflap, all is well.

One other thing.....I had read about this problem a few years back and to be honest, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. A LEAKING REARVIEW MIRROR !!! Lo and behold, when I went to adjust the mirror, there was this gummy stuff leaking out of the bottom and the mirror was all messed up with dark areas and a dull blue tint. Called the dealer...would you believe $650.00 for a MB rearview mirror. I picked one up at AutoZone for $15.00. Unfortunately, it did not work with the windshield mount which is part of the ML glass, not just a stick-on with mirror adhesive. Removing that mount (according to AutoGlass, you run the risk of breaking the glass.)

Plan B...ebay....nothing there and I didn't want to buy another mirror that might have this same problem a year down the road.

Plan C...check THIS website for other owners and their solutions. Voila !!!
See website below for company which FIXES the problem for $79.00. You send them pictures of your mirror, they contact you. You pay $79.00 and they send you replacement. After you swap mirrors out, you mail defective mirror back to company. If you don't mail core mirror they charge you $200.00 core charge. I'll let you know how it works out !

http://www.sybesmas.com/contact.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Great to hear. The mirror is probably the auto dimming type - I believe those have a sensor on the glass which collects light intensity and converts to some electrical energy which in turn changes the properties of whatever thick fluid is in there. I doubt autozone will carry those.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430, 1999 BMW 540iT, 1993 500SL
341 Posts
Congrats on the Milage. You should be getting the Mercedes Badges already now! :)

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (SOLD), 2011 BMW X5
157 Posts
Ehhh.. 300k is no big deal. You're just 200k ahead of me.
:D
Seriously, congrats. That is a lot of miles which I seriously doubt I will ever see on my car. Also thanks for sharing the mirror info.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
300K is impressive, and a testament to the care you have given your ML over its long life. Nice work!

Mine's a bit past half way there!

·
Registered
2000 ML430
176 Posts
Congratulations! Could you please share the maintenance you perform on the truck, such as transmission fluid/engine oil change frequency etc.

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
your cluster looks way cleaner than mine. :) Im about to hit the 300k mark too, but im in KM not Miles so that make mine still a teenager compare to yours ! Nice to hear !!

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Fantastic achievement!

It gives me much comfort to know that I can drive this thing for a good many more years yet.

Your speedometer/instrument cluster is very clean and new-looking for that mileage - Impressive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts