Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 280
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove down to NJ and there were a few SLKs on the road. On my way back, not only were there no more SLKs to be seen, but I got a speeding ticket. The cop said I was doing 90, which is possible but really not intentional, the car just goes to 90 without much effort, but was nice and ticketed me for going 10 miles over the speed limit. Do you guys know if I would get points?

·
Registered
858 Posts
kimpe said:
I drove down to NJ and there were a few SLKs on the road. On my way back, not only were there no more SLKs to be seen, but I got a speeding ticket. The cop said I was doing 90, which is possible but really not intentional, the car just goes to 90 without much effort, but was nice and ticketed me for going 10 miles over the speed limit. Do you guys know if I would get points?
:mad: Hope you had a good weekend other than the ticket. Most (all?) moving violations result in points. Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
Check with the DMV in your state. In California, if you pay the ticket and go to "driving school" (not race track driving school :)) which takes one full day on a Saturday, or two week nights, then no points will show on your DMV record and your car insurance rates stay the same.

No more than 1 corrective "driving school" in an 18 month period, i.e., no more moving violation within 18 months, or the points will stay.

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
It was sick. I was on the 134W going to Burbank, and I saw 3 R171's on the highway within a 20 yard radius! 1 Black, 1 LE, and 1 Diamond Silver. 1 280 and 2 350's. I'm starting to think us early adopters of the R171 are losing exclusivity status.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
etyu said:
Check with the DMV in your state. In California, if you pay the ticket and go to "driving school" (not race track driving school :)) which takes one full day on a Saturday, or two week nights, then no points will show on your DMV record and your car insurance rates stay the same.

No more than 1 corrective "driving school" in an 18 month period, i.e., no more moving violation within 18 months, or the points will stay.

Better yet, in Illinois you can stay at home and take driving school
over the internet.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
bclark said:
Better yet, in Illinois you can stay at home and take driving school
over the internet.
You can do this in LA county but not Orange County, the person at the courthouse said they've found out that people pay their kids to do the traffic school on line for them.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
In Washington, if you haven't had any moving violations in three years, you can go to court, pay $100, and the ticket is erased from the system. Been there. Done that.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
CP1 said:
Where the hell in Jersey are there 80 mph speed limits?
I think Kimpe meant the police was being nice and put on the citation that the person was 10mph above the speed limit making it a lesser offense.

In California, the penalty is much more harsh if you're cited for driving way above the speed limit, and you can be cited as a "reckless" driver.

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
10mph = likely the least amount of points, In PA.....what I have done in the past is get a lawyer and have them bargain the ticket to PA 31-11 (failure to obey traffic control devices)....or some bull*&*t, which is basically a $106 ticket that has no points and doesnt effect your record.

If your state has something like this it may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
etyu said:
In California, the penalty is much more harsh if you're cited for driving way above the speed limit, and you can be cited as a "reckless" driver.
Really, I visit nearly every year and I thought going over the speed limit is a norm, especailly I-5 and I-10, the slow traffic is going 90mph, while everybody goes faster. :) You only slow down when there's traffic, that's almost all the time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts