Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 600
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this ad on San Francisco Craigslist along with some other listings. I am not affiliated with any of these cars but for the right person this could be great projects and/or parts cars. http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/147318769.html

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Just can't stop shopping, can you?

I know how it feels. I have more than I can handle with this one, but I also have to look sometimes.

I just found a close gasser 280CE that I had to talk myself out of.

·
Registered
Mercedes 600
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love checking out what is out there. There is another nice 1984 300CD with 230K miles on eBay being offered by Michael Bartsch in LA...he wants $6,500. His prices keep going up. In general 300CD's are going up expecially for nice well-maintained ones.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Yes, I appreciate his passion (obviously). I guess I can't blame him for trying to get as much as he can for each car. I would just never buy another sight unseen. "Very Good" is not supposed to be a subjective term on Ebay, but it is to him. That's where the problems start.

·
Registered
Mercedes 600
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gregs300CD, sorry to hear that you are still uncovering what apparently was to be a "very good" condition car. I guess the key issue in any used car purchase is if the seller had any intent in deceiving the buyer. I can't answer that. I would, however, hope that a seller would be forthcoming with any information he or she had about the car--I realize this is often not the case. [:(]

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Everything was supposed to be in "very good" condition and the body was supposed to be "great" with "no rust"... unfortunately, it isn't that way.

Absolutely everything I look at needs repair. Today, I decided to take a look at the rear calipers since I had everything apart to bleed the lines and change the dry-rotten hoses. Shouldn't this have been leaking (like the front one is)?

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not neccessarily. Thats just the dust boot thats torn; it keeps dirt off the piston. The main seal is not visible until you take the caliper piston out. If the piston is scratched, it may leak when you push it back into the bore.

Jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts