Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,569 Posts
Since they were posted here I called the seller today and paid 1/3 today via payPal. So the word is out that I will have two ats gen1 and one ronal gen2 both in 8x16 et11. All with old but good tires. I will post detailed pictures in about a week after I get them. The guy has a nice condition bundt too if anyone local needs one. I prefer not to have the hassle, but let me know if anyone needs one. I will be looking for another gen2 wheel to complete the set, or just to split them up fast. I know someone who wants one ats. So pass the word around that one ats and one ronal might be available.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
Since they were posted here I called the seller today and paid 1/3 today is PayPal. So the word is out that I will have two ats gen1 and one ronal gen2 both in 8x16 et11. All with old but good tires. I will post detailed pictures in about a week after I get them. The guy has a nice condition bundt too if anyone local needs one. I prefer not to have the hassle, but let me know if anyone needs one. I will be looking for another gen2 wheel to complete the set, or just to split them up fast. I know someone who wants one ats. So pass the word around that one ats and one ronal might be available.
Decent score Mike. Hope you make a few bucks out of it.:thumbsup:

You wheel whore:D

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,569 Posts
I know the money that might be made on these is not worth it. I will make an effort to get a fair price and won't just dump them. But when somebody really wants/needs one, I will be here.

Too bad I can't seem to put a good gen2 set together (not since the rs133 went to YKA anyway).

Any gen2 owners want to run Pentas on one side of their gen2 and lorinser LOs on the others side? Or just 3 mismatched couple Pentas and one lorinser LO? It would. E a really unique set... A real one of a kind! :)

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
I was not serious with the wheel whore comment. You should know that.

I was serious in that I hope you can make a few bucks in the deal.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,569 Posts
I wasn't taking it too seriously. I think the wheel "whore" term actually comes from wheel "hoarder", but I don't really know. I am a wheel hoarder, no doubt about that, but I am working out the ins-and-outs of shipping wheels and have a great local wheel shop for any needed repairs. I am also working out the aspects of painting and cleaning. I tell ya. Most of these things are so damn dirty when they arrive in my driveway. I can't believe that many people sell them that way. I do like when a wheel arrives nice and clean, but it seems only the ones marketed as "never mounted" come in that way... And the first wheel set I ever bought, those chrome 15-hole w126 wheels. That is one thing about nice new chrome. It sure does clean up easy. So many of these have dirt inside the barrels that I just can't even remove. The ra's I picked up today had so much armor all on the tires that the grease up your hand any time you touch them. So the first thing I do when I get a wheel is clean it to a point I can at least handle it. Altogether, it is a hassle, but most addictions are. Right?

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Since they were posted here I called the seller today and paid 1/3 today via payPal. So the word is out that I will have two ats gen1 and one ronal gen2 both in 8x16 et11. All with old but good tires. I will post detailed pictures in about a week after I get them. The guy has a nice condition bundt too if anyone local needs one. I prefer not to have the hassle, but let me know if anyone needs one. I will be looking for another gen2 wheel to complete the set, or just to split them up fast. I know someone who wants one ats. So pass the word around that one ats and one ronal might be available.
Would one of these work as a spare for my daughter's car? The original wheels used a two stage bolt, the pentas do not. It would be nice to have a fifth as a spare.

let me know.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,569 Posts
I am not sure what wheels or car your daughter has, but one thing about spares is that they should fit in the spare tire well. I am pretty sure that a 225/50/16 tire (most commonly fit the 8" wheels) won't fit in there.

(funny thing is that the 7x16 et23 bbs ra wheels have 225/60/16 tires on them and they look as skinny as a 205 tire, but definitely have a lot more diameter. For 2007 but worn and dry rotted too... I guess I should just get them ripped off... Wrong size and all.)

I was planning on making up a bbs rs 6.5x16 et30 wheel for this very reason.

For rare wheels on cars we drive, it is always good to have a matching extra wheel even if it doesn't fit in the trunk as an active spare. That way you don't have to spend an arm and a leg in the event you destroy a wheel. I picked up a fifth silver bbs rs009 at $250 for this reason. I could have also possibly used it for the gold set I am making too, but as you see, I don't pass up any rare wheels at the right price. :)

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
16" Pentas. ET 11. What I have noticed is that a larger than original may not bolt down, but it will fit in there such that the cover will close. Of course there are limits on that.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,569 Posts
As I noted in other threads. I picked up these wheels. There is some slight corrosion under the clear coat in a few spots, but overall they are in great condition. It looks like they have seen very little road time with new looking 1986 tires on them.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Your legacy, Fonzi.

The Wheelman.

You are at the point where the needers will be searching you out.

And you will make $$ on onezies and twozies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts