Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 430K miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad for Mercedes diesels in 1965 and decided I wanted one (gas was 24 cents per gallon and diesel was cheaper). 18 years later I could finally afford one and bought a 240D new. Kept it absolutely cherry until 1997 when a drunk lady in a Cadillac hit me at 40 mph from behind while I was stopped at a red light. Both cars totalled, I walked away, she limped.

This is when I learned that "cherry" means nothing to my insurance company; nor does it repel drunks. I took the $7K I got for it and bought a very used non-cherry 300SD from some fly-by-night used car dealer. You get what you pay for and soon I was dumping huge amounts of $$ into engine repairs. Finally gave up and replaced the engine. The car ran beautifully for 12 years and then a catastrophic oil leak killed the engine early this year. No rebuilt engines were available, nor could I afford $12K to have the dealer put one in. But they were able to find one in a junkyard and installed it for half that.

I was quite concerned that this third engine of unknown mileage would be a bottomless pit of repair costs, but it's OK; smokes a little, but oil consumption is well under the generous Mercedes spec. So the problems I'm having have little to do with the engine, more due to 29 years and 430,000 miles.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts