Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New tires, new camera - its a good day!

I was itching to do all but I did not have more time than testing one tire.
More in about two weeks.

stock 265/60R18 on AMG ET 48, 278 mm wide = 30 kg
new 295/75R16 on R6 Atik ET 63, 289 mm wide = 38 kg

AS expected the new combo moved in by 15 mm - offset minimally by more tire width (11 mm) = 5.5 mm per side

ground to fender flare:
stock combo 897 mm
new combo 932 mm
= 35 mm (1.38")

img 1 - old combo sticks out more (arrow)
img 2 - new combo sits deeper (arrow shows front tire position)
img 3 - old combo looks OK
img 4 - new combo looks better proportioned
img 5 - with my eyes new combo looks so much better

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
As long as you're testing...

I'd be curious how the new combo effects turning circle when both setups are adjusted to (just)not contact bodywork or suspesnion parts at full lock.

This is one of those things we talk about, but don't usually get around to documenting.

Also curious how your rim width compares to the BFG recommended width for that tire. The tires look pretty "chubby" on the rims, which is great for off road protection of the wheels, especially when the added risk to sidewalls is offset by playing right into the BFG's strength. But I always had trouble getting BFGs to wear evenly at reasonable street pressures (ie-not absurdly low) if the tire was used on a narrower rim than recommended. They tended to wear in the middle first.

Anyhoo,

I agree Harald. Looks much better proportioned than factory. Even to this "die hard pizza cutter man".

[:)]

-Dave G.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Looks VERY nice ... 10X tougher looking than the AMG's. Thxs to you I'm getting my wheels powdercoated. [:D]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE: As long as you're testing...

Dave,

I have no clue what size wheel BFG recommends for the 295/75R16. The R6 Atik is 7.5" wide and that seems just right for a 11.5" wider tire.
I have 12.5" wide tires on my other trucks with 8" wide wheels and they perform well and wear absolutely even. On my CJ I even have the 12.5" tire mounted to a 7.5" wheel. However, I think it really helps on those that the wheel is only 15" wide.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it all works out. Rubbing or no rubbing - I'll report. Since the new combo moved more to the inside (images 1 and 2) a space conflict is possible. We'll see.

Harald

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
The wheels and tires look great Harald. I like the de-bling campaign. They fill the wheel well correctly and give you some added rubber between the rocks and your rims. They give you a bit more clearance under the diffs as well I would think. I really like the AT tread pattern and other features of that tire. Looks like you've tucked it in perfectly. Really nice truck!

-Dai

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts

4x4abc - 5/4/2005 6:09 AM

Dave,

I have no clue what size wheel BFG recommends for the 295/75R16. The R6 Atik is 7.5" wide and that seems just right for a 11.5" wider tire.
I have 12.5" wide tires on my other trucks with 8" wide wheels and they perform well and wear absolutely even. On my CJ I even have the 12.5" tire mounted to a 7.5" wheel. However, I think it really helps on those that the wheel is only 15" wide.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it all works out. Rubbing or no rubbing - I'll report. Since the new combo moved more to the inside (images 1 and 2) a space conflict is possible. We'll see.

Harald
looks good.
But there is no data field in the electronic for that size.
As long you will drive slowly, all is fine. But your shifting points from the transmission are far from standard, the ABS is far away from working really safe, the ETS will work very much because these tires will send rotation signals which can't be "possible" and a few things more ...
It's ok for very slow rock climbing but FAR away from being recommended.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
1996 G300TD
384 Posts
Hi Harald,

Looks great!

Did you change the diffs? Are you planning to do anything to compensate for the reduced brake performance?

JW

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
So your just going to leave us hanging with one shot of the black wheel. Thats not very nice!

As for the gear i didnt notice any difference in how it ran. i went from stock 265-60-18 to a 275-65-18 which on there web page said it went from a 30 inch to a 32.5 inch. However his tires are probably 34" tall.

·
Registered
265 Posts

TH - 5/4/2005 9:03 AM
looks good.
As long you will drive slowly, all is fine. But your shifting points from the transmission are far from standard, the ABS is far away from working really safe, the ETS will work very much because these tires will send rotation signals which can't be "possible" and a few things more ...

Anyway, good luck.
I dont know a thing about modern electronics as I´m quite old fashioned as you kan read on another thread...
But I know this little device is used a lot to calibrate speedometers. http://www.superlift.com/products/misc/truspeed.asp

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts

Karl Ingolfsson - 5/4/2005 4:35 PM

TH - 5/4/2005 9:03 AM
looks good.

Anyway, good luck.
I dont know a thing about modern electronics as I´m quite old fashioned as you kan read on another thread...
But I know this little device is used a lot to calibrate speedometers. http://www.superlift.com/products/misc/truspeed.asp
Won't work here.
The wheel sensors go first to the main computer unit, here all datas are connected ( ETS;ABS;BAS;Transmission;ESP etc. ) and the line up to the speedo is only one.

·
Registered
265 Posts

TH - 5/5/2005 6:27 PM
Won't work here.
The wheel sensors go first to the main computer unit, here all datas are connected ( ETS;ABS;BAS;Transmission;ESP etc. ) and the line up to the speedo is only one.
How about using 4 truspeed to change the pulse rate from all abs sensors?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts