Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 GD Turbo Diesel
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there
I just recently purchased a 290gd turbo diesel from the German LUFTEWAFFE through a goverment auction.

the 290 gdt was used as a mule on the airfield and it was therefore retrofitted with massive steel bumpers to give it the weight to be able to tow cargo planes and fighter planes

The bumpers were professionally manufactured and installed in germany by a specialty company called Franke

I have re-moved the bumpers and the front grill which was also made of steel I would like to put normal bumpers on it front and rear along with the fog lights that I already have (came with the steel bumpers) but the more I read about the different models I realize it is not so cut and dry as i first anticipated but I know it is attainable

So I guess what I am asking is there a manual or site where I could check and cross refer part #s s to ensure that I am ordering or buying the correct bumpers and grill

I think the year of manufacture is either 2000 a or a 2001 type461
thank-you
Roland

·
Registered
573 Posts
290gdt said:
So I guess what I am asking is there a manual or site where I could check and cross refer part #s s to ensure that I am ordering or buying the correct bumpers and grill

Hi Roland,

Congrats on your new G. I saw photos of that beauty a few weeks ago.

How about posting your VIN / Chassis Number and someone will tell you what the original bumpers would have been from the factory. From this baseline, you can choose which type of bumper you would prefer, that is, if the stock ones don't do it for you.

The mounting points on the frame will be like other G's, unless the Tug company made a few torch mods to fit the "wall" up front.

-Sean Philyaw

·
Registered
290 GD Turbo Diesel
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sean
thanks for your reply
The tug company may have cut one index pin on the front left lower chassis braket or mabey not it all looks to clean to tell and either way I dont think its a cause for concern

the vin is as follows WDB4613351x117975

You said that you seen pictures of it,were they posted on the net somewhere by serco or the luftwaffe?:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
290gdt said:
You said that you seen pictures of it,were they posted on the net somewhere by serco or the luftwaffe?:)

Hi Roland,

Someone sent us photos last month, as they were trying to sell us the truck.

Looks like your truck came with the standard 460/461 front tow pin bumper and split rear bumpers. See parts diagrams below for part number.

-Sean Philyaw

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts