Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I dropped my recently acquired 2003 ML55 off at RBM Mercedes/Alpharetta, Ga a few hours ago. They might finish up the ticket today, but more than likely it will be sometime Monday before I can pick it up. They gave me a nice black GLC300 for a loaner, so they can keep it for a week if necessary !

Someone had asked what the country of manufacture was for these Continental CROSSCONTACT UHP BW tires .They were manufactured in Portugal.
Could kick myself for not getting the date code off of one, but that will come soon. They are BIG tires, but these days it seems like 19's and 20's are the norm, so it's all relative.

Dealer is also going change both of the differential fluids and detail the wheels (i.e. thoroughly clean the five 'spokes' and the barrels before adding the weights. Also going the clean up the calipers. Glad to hear that MB is currently using synthetics for their differentials also.

Drove the ML55 last night to a family gathering and I am loving the 'feel' of this tank. Great tight suspension and Xenon headlights are much better than my 99ML430 halogens. New tires should quieten down the ride quite a bit. The engine has gobs of torque and when my 430 would downshift, the 55 just digs deeper into the power band !

Not sure where this updating of the ML55 necessities will stop but I'm getting close !

Hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving. Try to avoid getting out into the BLACK FRIDAY MADNESS !!

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,607 Posts
It’s constant power in the 55 in comparison to the 430 isn’t it. The gearbox shifts a lot different to the standard one too.
Any pics of this beast yet.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a few Matt...but I often encounter operator errors when transferring from my phone to laptop...stay tuned..I'll get them up in the next day or two. Holding my breath that I might get the BEAST back from the dealer service today !!

Dealers often get a bad rap as far as cost, but in many instances they will meet/beat printed bids from independent shops.

How are things down under ?

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,607 Posts
I've got a few Matt...but I often encounter operator errors when transferring from my phone to laptop...stay tuned..I'll get them up in the next day or two. Holding my breath that I might get the BEAST back from the dealer service today !!

Dealers often get a bad rap as far as cost, but in many instances they will meet/beat printed bids from independent shops.

We’re all good over here. Coming into summer so that will suck a little. I like the cold weather.
Just bought another 29 dodge victory so that will keep me very busy. Needs a full ground up restoration, it’s been out in a paddock for years so tackling some rust in the chassis at the moment.
Keep enjoying that 55 they are awesome.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We’re all good over here. Coming into summer so that will suck a little. I like the cold weather.
Just bought another 29 dodge victory so that will keep me very busy. Needs a full ground up restoration, it’s been out in a paddock for years so tackling some rust in the chassis at the moment.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys just picked up the ML55 a few hours ago and it ALWAYS amazes me what a huge difference new tires make.
Very smooth and quiet on dry pavement and a very firm and secure feeling due to the tread design.

As mentioned earlier, this size (285/50R18) was the factory tire when the ML55 was first introduced through its series run from 2000 thru 2003. Unfortunately most of the tire manufacturers long longer produce this size.

I happened to be at a dealer the other day and met a Mercedes tire rep that checked and found that dealers actually can get this size quickly and the price was very reasonable. Manufacturer is Continental and they are currently running a rebate of $150.00 off for a set of four.

If you are considering a new set for your ML55, this is a great option for us owners. Tires were manufactured in Portugal and had a manufacture dat of February 2018.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a few pictures from today....already homing in on a deal on the new Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads. !

After this, she hopefully will be trouble free for quite a while and I can concentrate on detailing !!

IMG_2034.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
Looking good. I was the one that asked about the country of manufacture on the tires, was thinking it be Europe. One member in Spain just reported he had the choice of several manufactures, one being Continental, for that size. What's worse they ran from about 130 to 160 euro, very reasonable.

When downloading photos i usually just take and send from my phone straight to Benzworld. saves a step.

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
Beautiful looking 55. It looks to be in great condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2003 ML55 was my first ML so some good memories. Mine had the most fantastic and sensuous part-wood steering wheel. Have never found one like it since.

One thing to monitor (constantly) is paint blistering on the bottom of the doors and sometimes the bottom of the window trim.

It's hiding a multitude of sins with the beginnings of fast moving rust.

Infamous problem (a combination of Mercedes cost cutting at the time and the issues at its new factory - don't ask where but it wasn't Germany!).

Touch and go whether cost of remedy would mean writing car off but quickly off loaded it towards ML63.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
2003 ML55 was my first ML so some good memories. Mine had the most fantastic and sensuous part-wood steering wheel. Have never found one like it since.

One thing to monitor (constantly) is paint blistering on the bottom of the doors and sometimes the bottom of the window trim.

It's hiding a multitude of sins with the beginnings of fast moving rust.

Infamous problem (a combination of Mercedes cost cutting at the time and the issues at its new factory - don't ask where but it wasn't Germany!).

Touch and go whether cost of remedy would mean writing car off but quickly off loaded it towards ML63.

The MLs were built in a new plant in Vance Alabama. Not doubting your experience but I have not read any complaints on rust. Looks like you are in the UK so do not know about your exposure to Sea Salt?

I am in the dry high desert and for how many MLs I have seen in pick a part yards (over a dozen), I have never seen one with any rust. In winter we also do not use rock salt on our roads.

So I think it is environmental.

·
Registered
00' ML55 AMG, 98' E430, 95' S320
77 Posts
Beautiful ML! I too have an exceptionally clean 55, and it will need new tires soon. I was under the impression that these Continental tires were no longer available? I currently have Yokohama AVS ST Type-1's (285/55R18), and they handle very well and look even better, but they are quite noisy, and VERY heavy! One of my front wheel+tire combos weighed in @ ~79lbs!!! (stock five spoke wheels) Any idea how heavy the continentals are? Would you be willing to weigh one of yours? Thanks!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,743 Posts

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,797 Posts
I totally biffed that size.
How about this one?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,743 Posts
Reviews seem to be average, more or less. But with limited shoe choices for most here in NA...humm
I'll stick with my toyos

1 - 20 of 20 Posts