Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear 107 fellows,

Bear with me, I haven't got my cds or manuals yet.

The car's idling at 1300, way too fast. Was idling at 1000 in FL, when I picked it up last week, to drive it to Montreal, where it's much colder it goes without saying.

In FL, the AC was constantly on, here it's off.

I had the surprise of my life when I opened the hood, to take a closer look at idle speed adjustment. I knew when I bought the car that things looked familiar, but oh oh, a MB with the good old Bosch K jetronic, like the innumerable Jettas that I've owned, crashed so many many years ago. There is an idle speed screw.

Question: what's the idle speed for a M110.990? 800 rpms?

Merci d'avance, that's thanks,

Laverda

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
750-800 rpm is good. Use the adjustment to find a "sweet spot" where the engine runs smooth in this range.

But remember, there is no idle "kick up" when the A/C turns on...so you have to compensate accordingly; i.e., a balance between when A/C is running and when it's not.

Generally, I do one adjustment in spring and one in fall, to compensate for temperature differential and A/C usage.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
My m110 idles around 800 and seems a little high by today's car's standards, but it seems just right for that engine.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
laverda said:
Dear 107 fellows,

Bear with me, I haven't got my cds or manuals yet.

The car's idling at 1300, way too fast. Was idling at 1000 in FL, when I picked it up last week, to drive it to Montreal, where it's much colder it goes without saying.

In FL, the AC was constantly on, here it's off.

I had the surprise of my life when I opened the hood, to take a closer look at idle speed adjustment. I knew when I bought the car that things looked familiar, but oh oh, a MB with the good old Bosch K jetronic, like the innumerable Jettas that I've owned, crashed so many many years ago. There is an idle speed screw.

Question: what's the idle speed for a M110.990? 800 rpms?

Merci d'avance, that's thanks,

Laverda
I don't have a 110 so this might be irrelevent. Since you're familiar with the idle screw and the air/fuel mixture of the fuel system I would try to idle it down and observe the differences. Sometimes a high idle is a result of another fault being compensated for. Vacuum leaks or fuel delivery come to mind.
BTW: laverda? I used to have a Laverda 750, and a Norton 850 Commando, many years ago.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Laverda Slater Mirage 1200, a pretty rare thing.
No, no leaks. The idle speed screw doesn't affect mixture (I think, I haven't found my old injection book yet), and the high idle is definitely related to Florida's heat and AC requirements.
Laverda

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
laverda said:
The idle speed screw doesn't affect mixture (I think, I haven't found my old injection book yet), and the high idle is definitely related to Florida's heat and AC requirements.
The idle speed screw is actually an idle airflow adjustment. But adjusting it for temperature differential is actually compensating for the different densities of air at different temperatures!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts