Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '79 280SL Euro. It has 185,000 miles, but is in mint condition except that the motor and tranny should be rebuilt. My question is, is there a more powerful motor I could use? ... the 2.8L I6 puts out only 186bhp, which in a 4200-pound car isn't all that much. Also it might simply be a lot cheaper to just get another engine altogether rather than have this Euro model rebuilt. <br> <br> It would not bother me a bit that the new powerplant's not original equipment ... these cars aren't worth that much anyhow. <br> <br> Or is there a blower kit, etc. that I could use?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a Chevy 350. The engines are cheap, readily available, (good rebuilts from the factory for about $1,200 or complete engines from the hot rod mags that will give you anything from 250 hp to 700 hp), cheap compared to overhauling your 280, cheap auto or stick trannys, cheap parts available everwhere, and anyone can work of them. <br> The same holds true with almost any big American V8.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave,<br> <br> I too have a 280 euro... certainly not a screamer, but interestingly, 10 more HP than the 450 albeit not the torque.<br> <br> If you do change, I'd be interested in some parts....especially the air conditioning!!!<br> <br> Let me know.<br> <br> 732 938 1293<br> <br> [email protected]<br> <br> Jeff

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,<br> <br> I too have a 280 euro... certainly not a screamer, but interestingly, 10 more HP than the 450 albeit not the torque.<br> <br> If you do change, I'd be interested in some parts....especially the air conditioning!!!<br> <br> Let me know.<br> <br> 732 938 1293<br> <br> [email protected]<br> <br> Jeff<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also nhave a euro 280. Would a 350 gm engine match the motor mounts? what about Tranny? It's sounds like a viable option to juice my 280, but if the cost will be over 7 k, it would be.....Not worth it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a look at www.carcentric.com/459slswap.htm or www.geocities.com/benzswap. Unless you are real handy with mechanics and welding youmight want to give this swap a miss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts