Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1980 280slc 4 speed
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in another post I was driving my cousins 1983 280SL when it all of a sudden died on me. Car sat for a number of years but surprisingly started up no problem and ran well. I towed the car home and now need to figure out what is wrong with it. I first tested the coil to make sure the car has spark and it does. Im almost certain its a fuel issue. I have a test light and tested the wires going to the fuel pump and the fuel pump is getting power so I assume the relay is working then? Or could the fuel pump relay still be bad even though the pump is getting power? I also replaced the fuel filter incase it was clogged and still nothing. When I pulled the gas line out the gas looked good, no signs of corrosion or gunk in the tank. My only other guess is the fuel pump went out. As mentioned the car was driving fine and just died. Any other ideas what it might be or is it most likely a bad fuel pump?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,196 Posts
As mentioned in another post I was driving my cousins 1983 280SL when it all of a sudden died on me. Car sat for a number of years but surprisingly started up no problem and ran well. I towed the car home and now need to figure out what is wrong with it. I first tested the coil to make sure the car has spark and it does. Im almost certain its a fuel issue. I have a test light and tested the wires going to the fuel pump and the fuel pump is getting power so I assume the relay is working then? Or could the fuel pump relay still be bad even though the pump is getting power? I also replaced the fuel filter incase it was clogged and still nothing. When I pulled the gas line out the gas looked good, no signs of corrosion or gunk in the tank. My only other guess is the fuel pump went out. As mentioned the car was driving fine and just died. Any other ideas what it might be or is it most likely a bad fuel pump?
Why start another thread???

You should only have power at the pump when the engine is actually running......or for about 1 second when you first turn the key to start.

·
Registered
1985 280SL 1980/1983/1985 280TE 2004 320E, Healey Lemans & Tri Carb, XKE, 73 911S
8 Posts
Did you ever find the cause of the problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts