Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 280SEL 4.5 back on the road for about 4 months. As best I can tell, she had not been on the road for about 10-15 years before I purchased her.

I changed all fluids and have done a lot of work. She has developed a transmisison leak over the past 2 months. Started as the occasional drip and is now a pretty bad leak. Drips off the torque converter leading me to believe the front seal has gone bad. Pan and banjo bolts do not leak. Rear seal is good.

Transmission shifts strong, no flaring. Will actuall chirp the tires if pushed. No whining from the transmission. Reverse has a touch of hesitation, but not bad. The oil was clean when I changed it 6 months ago and the pan had very little gunk in it.

How big of a job is it to drop the tranny and replace the front seal? Is it worth it or should I spend the $2,000 to get it rebuilt? Seems a waste to spend all the money when she seems to be fine except for the leak, but if the dropping and reinstallation is too much of a problem, is it better to do the whole thing?

Looking for advice and who has dropped one before?

·
Registered
1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The torque converter was drained with the pan and new copper washer installed. It isn't from the converter.

Just wondering if this is a 4 hour out and 6 hour in, or a couple day project. Anyone ever replaced the front seals. Parts diagram indicates it should be pretty simple.

I assume driveshaft, linkage, starter, cooling lines, and speedo cable all come off. Am I missing anything?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts