Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Back with another problem. The 4 speed, manual transmission in my '84 280E seems to be acting up a little. It doesn't seem like a clutch or gear issue, but rather a shift lever issue. I have attached a few photos of the shift lever and the housing. Anyways, the transmission seems to shift fine, but getting it into reverse and 4th gear is kind of difficult. To get it in to reverse, I find myself having to shift to 1st gear first, then going from 1st to reverse. I can rarely go from neutral to reverse. 4th gear is kind of tricky too. It feels as if there is more force needed to go to 4th gear than any other gear, like something is blocking it from going in. So, what I was thinking is that something inside my shift lever housing is not working like it is suppose to. The first picture is to focus on the tan/yellow cover for the shift lever spring. I am guessing it is a cover that is. Well, it is broken, and if you pull it off there is a spring underneath it. When you shift to reverse in my 280E, the spring underneath that tan/yellow cover pushes on the side of my center console, which is actually broken. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are to just show the shift lever and housing. I was wondering if that housing can be ordered from somewhere other than the Mercedes Dealership. If not, are there certain bushings or anything that can be bought to do repairs to the housing. Also, is there an adjustment for the shift lever to adjust the guidance into each gear? I have never really worked on transmission related parts before which is why I am seeking any advise on this. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
The rebuild parts for your shifter are cheap, and I would check the rubber shifter bushings under the car.

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
Don't let this comment prevent you from ensuring that the shifter is in good operating condition, but what you describe sounds more like a synchronizer issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the responses. When I get some time this next week I will check those bushings. Where are they on the transmission under the car. Are they easy to spot?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Refer to the diagram for location of the bushings. The levers on the transmission extend upward, so they are a little tough to get at, but not so bad you can't change them. You can give them a simple wiggle test to check them.

Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Refer to the diagram for location of the bushings. The levers on the transmission extend upward, so they are a little tough to get at, but not so bad you can't change them. You can give them a simple wiggle test to check them.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Thank you! And thank you everybody else. Tomorrow on Christmas Eve I am free so I will jack the car up and inspect those bushings. It will be good to know if they are bad because I was about to order a heat/air control valve for my manual climate control, and I would like to order everything at the same time.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so I was looking through my Haynes manual, which I had to get from my apartment back at college since I am in on break, and found four different bushings to check. I have attached a picture of the manual so you all could have an understanding of what I am about to say haha. Alright on the picture, number 23 is a bushing. Is this the bushing that is the tan/yellowish one broken on my car on end of the bearing bracket (9), and also the one that holds the compression spring, number 10, in place. If so then I know that number 23 is one bushing I need to get to hold the compression spring, number 10, in place for the shift lever. Also, number 36, is another bushing, which is connected to the intermediate levers for all gears. Now number 36 seems to be the only bushing, from the picture, that I could locate that would be underneath the vehicle. Is this in fact the only bushing or am I missing something in the picture? I just want to make sure I am looking for the right things when I jack the vehicle up tomorrow. Another bushing, number 13, is also located in either the shift tube (11) or the guide bolt (14). Should I go ahead and check the condition of 13? It is called the damping bushing in my manual. And the last bushing is number 4, which from the picture I cannot figure out where it would be located. It seems like it would be located in the actual shift tube (11) on the bottom of the shift lever (2). If I am wrong about that one let me know. Sorry for the long write-up too. I just want to make sure I am inspecting the right things. Lastly, this may be a dumb question but does the shift lever handle (1) just twist off? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
It's difficult, at least for me, to go through part by part on your diagram and advise you. I have been messing with stuff like this for so long, I just wiggle things around and determine what's loose, and then tend to it.

I might suggest that you simply get under the car (after SAFELY raising and supporting it) and see if anything is loose. If there is anything that is not snug as it should be, then the diagram should be more useful in determing what you need.

I'm sorry I can't help any further. If I were there I might be more useful.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I got underneath the car today and wiggled around. The bushing (36) that goes in between the clip (37) and the rod head (34) is gone on two of the rod heads. The bushing that is actually still there is a little loose also. So I know I need to buy three of those which on AutohausAZ it looks like this part ( Part # 1159920110) : https://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=uo1t2i2clvctx545zkw0xezq&partnumber=1159920110. So correct me if I am wrong on that one. Other than that everything else seemed fine. I was able to slide the rod head back and forth on the nipples of the 2 intermediate levers (27 & 28) that had the bushings missing.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Good show! I knew that if you would just start examining things you would figure it out.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea. Thank you for all the help! Does anybody know of a special tool to take the clips off of the rod head? Or is it just as easy to take those clips off with a flat head screw driver?

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So over the course of the next week or so I will be replacing the bushings. I have attached pictures to help show where these bushings are and also the part numbers of each of the bushings. I am going to do a write-up/pictorial of how to replace these bushings considering I have not been able to find a write-up thus far for the 280E Manual Transmission. So the bushings and clips that I will be replacing are under the car on the rod head. The first three pictures are of the bushings and clips I will be replacing. The part number for these bushings that go in the middle of the rod heads is 1159920110; also located at https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...ber=1159920110. The part number for the clips is 0009944160; also located at https://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=3tcf5majn2zoof45z5dj0x24&partnumber=0009944160.

As you can tell on the first 3 pictures, the only bushing is on the very first rod head. The other two do not have them, which I think were lost maybe when it was serviced or from how brittle the could have gotten. The next picture is of the gear shift rods on the side of the transmission. The same clips are used here but they have different bushings. The part number for these black bushings is 0009920510; also located at https://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=3tcf5majn2zoof45z5dj0x24&partnumber=0009920510. I will not be changing these bushings because as you can see by the picture I still have all of them and all are in good condition.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but would you be able to tell me the part number for the one above the spring that allows you to engage reverse? It's part number four in the Haynes manual. I had my shift rod welded on and it broke down the plastic bushing which is not disintegrated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hijack your thread but would you be able to tell me the part number for the one above the spring that allows you to engage reverse? It's part number four in the Haynes manual. I had my shift rod welded on and it broke down the plastic bushing which is not disintegrated. Thanks.
Hey ranger89, sorry for the late reply. I am receiving all my parts today that I had ordered and will let you know a part number for that bushing after I finish working on it tonight. I haven't worked on the car since last week because I have been waiting so long for the parts. I do know which one you are talking about though. I looked at it when I had the shift lever pulled all apart, but forgot to jot down a part number the first time.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright so I replaced all of the bushings on the rod heads and was able to epoxy the bushing which holds the compression spring for neutral in place until I can find that bushing. I will probably look at a dealership sometime soon for it. I checked the adjustments of the shift levers and everything seems to be adjusted right. Thank you for the diagram Nutz 4 Benz. Without it I wouldn't have known that my shift levers were the stamped/fixed ones and couldn't be adjusted on the splines. My Haynes manual just said to reposition on the splines, but there is no repositioning on mine since the splines are not circular. But everything seems to be shifting a lot better after replacing those bushings. Thank you for all the help everybody.

Oh and ranger89, I looked at the bushing for the reverse and couldn't find a part number anywhere on it. Sorry about that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts