Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Sorry for the dumb question, but I have 1979 280E Euro car and I am unable to determine whether it has an engine in the range up to 08323, or in the range that follows. There are often two different versions of a replacement part, e.g. a distributor cap, depending on which range this type of car belongs, so it is impossible for me to decide which parts I should order.

I have been unable to locate the relevant label on the engine.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
nightheron - 4/28/2005 8:21 PM

Hi. Sorry for the dumb question, but I have 1979 280E Euro car and I am unable to determine whether it has an engine in the range up to 08323, or in the range that follows. There are often two different versions of a replacement part, e.g. a distributor cap, depending on which range this type of car belongs, so it is impossible for me to decide which parts I should order.

I have been unable to locate the relevant label on the engine.
Hi,

Nice to see a fellow 280E owner, these dieselsuckers are getting to me! If you have the pink card with the vehicle data the engine # should be on there. Otherwise, you can contact the MB classic center by email and they will email you the vehicle data.

I think, you mean to say engine # 083230. If you don't mind me asking, what is your chassis #? I ask because my '79 is chassis #049906 and the engine is #50540 so I doubt if another '79 would be above 83230, but do double check.

Hope this helps.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
The distributor cap issue has a much simpler solution. Just copy the 10-digit Bosch number off your old cap. That's enough info to provide you with the correct cap and wires, all ignition rotors are the same.

·
Registered
Mercedes 1979 280ce
179 Posts
On my 280e, if you stand on the drivers side and look down at front corner of the engine block, directly at the seam where the upper cylinder head meets the lower cylinder. There is a small "shelf" that juts out from the lower part of the block, (completely covered with crud) This "shelf" has the engine number clearly stamped into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts